Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Jalapeño Blonde!  (Read 1617 times)

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
Jalapeño Blonde!
« on: March 31, 2016, 07:08:14 am »
This is one of the house favorites. It began as a cream ale, but was somewhat bastardized when I moved on to partial mash BIAB by using Pilsner extract. I've now gone to all grain but don't want to mess with Pilsner malts and DMS as I have issues getting a full boil and use the tamale steamer bottom as a lid propped by my spoon. So I've been revising this recipe over time looking for something as good as the BIAB version.

As cream ales use 6-row barley and are designed to be an ale version of a lager and much like a kolsch I figured this out to work well, and in the latest version I used it as 100% of my base malt, though I may begin using some wheat.

This is my 5.25 gal recipe:

8 lbs of 6-row
3/4 lb of crystal 20
1/2 lb of carafoam
1 oz of Mount Hood (5.6%) @ 70 mins
5 jalapeños roasted @ 350* for 30 mins, sliced thin and cut into pieces to add to the boil @ 14 mins
5 fresh jalapeños sliced thin and cut into pieces set in liquor to extract and used as a "dry pepper" addition for 7 days
US-05 yeast

1.049/1.010
5.2% ABV
19 IBUs
4 SRM

Mashed at 152* and fermented 7 days at 67* followed by 2 weeks at room temp and 3 weeks conditioning.

My OG was higher at 1.053 and my FG was lower at 1.008! Then add the liquor it was soaked in and priming sugar and it's estimated at 7.3% ABV!

These always have horrible head retention. Some have said it may be to oils in the peppers, but nothing definitive.

This has an awesome aroma, flavor, and spiciness!

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Jalapeño Blonde!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 08:05:31 am »
This sounds very interesting. I've been digging some pepper beers lately, especially a little in IPA. It's a unique experience. But I'm not sure I want 5 gallons of it.
Jesse

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 08:12:34 am »
That's how I felt at first...

I've noticed that the aroma, flavor, and spice begin to fade much as a dry hop does after something like 4-6 weeks. I intend to make two test batches to compare jalapeños in the boil vs ones used as an extract to see what they contribute and how long it lasts.

I've also made a habanero strong ale, though I didn't use enough Habaneros. As the scoville units are much more extreme I reduced the number of peppers too much.

I also want to make a beer with serranos and with Thai chilis. SWMBO wants me to try something with Hatch chilis too. I love peppers!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 08:14:24 am »
Kickbutt.

I find peppers do contribute different flavors and aromas depending on whether they're boiled or soaked in vodka.  So just to cover the bases, I do a combination of both in every batch.  It works very well.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 08:31:27 am »
That sounds to me like it will have pretty assertive heat at 10 pepper/ 5 gallons.
Although, I've found that my "happy place" seems to be at about 1/2 a habanero per gallon, maybe just a touch less. So considering the strength of habs to jalapenos your ration may work well. I would just encourage you to be a bit conservative until you find your happy spot. You can always add more tincture, but you cant get it out.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 02:13:02 pm »
When it comes to peppers I'm a sucker for torture it seems.

4 Habaneros in 5 gals is quite weak. A touch of spice. Not sure of the flavor as I loaded it up with late additions and a whirlpool of Centennial figuring it ought to meld well with what I understand to be a citrusy-like flavor. It's good regardless.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 02:57:22 pm »
When it comes to peppers I'm a sucker for torture it seems.

4 Habaneros in 5 gals is quite weak. A touch of spice. Not sure of the flavor as I loaded it up with late additions and a whirlpool of Centennial figuring it ought to meld well with what I understand to be a citrusy-like flavor. It's good regardless.

Interesting, when I did it, I roasted, de-seeded, then chopped 'em up and put vodka on them for a few days. Plenty strong for me, but I'm about balance and while I like a bit of heat, I don't really find HOT beverages very enjoyable. Glad yours turned out well for you!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 04:23:51 pm »
I keep all but the stem in mine.