Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Partial Grain American Wheat  (Read 3791 times)

Offline MotoGP1000

• 1st Kit
Partial Grain American Wheat
« on: March 24, 2016, 01:10:17 pm »
HI -

So Im brewing a partial grain American Wheat which in the instructions doesnt mention anything about utlizing a 2ndry fermenter.    Previous batches have.

Now I have read here some people are saying its not necessary.    Is that true?   Am i losing anything by transferring into the 2ndry? Or gaining?

Also, should I let the krausen fully settle out before transferring if I do?

thanks! ;D

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Partial Grain American Wheat
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 01:25:50 pm »
Secondary should be an exception rather than the rule.

Offline MotoGP1000

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 01:54:35 pm »
How so?

As in only certain brews probalby require that extra step?

i thought it was mostly for clarity anyways..?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 02:31:57 pm »
How so?

If you leave it in primary it will clear as much as if you had used a secondary.  About the only time you really need a secondary i when you add extra fermentables.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 02:34:16 pm »
How so?

If you leave it in primary it will clear as much as if you had used a secondary.  About the only time you really need a secondary i when you add extra fermentables.

such as fruit. 
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 02:43:45 pm »

Yep. I use a secondary when I make fruit beers for my wife, otherwise not at all. I'll be glad when the myth dies out and new brewers can come here without that idea stuck in their heads. Hope it doesn't take a couple more decades.  ;D
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 02:46:27 pm »
It will never die. I know so many people that follow the 1 week primary and 2 week secondary schedule. I think the reason is it often doesn't hurt to do it.

I'm lazy and cleaning fermenters is the pits.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 03:33:55 pm »

+1.  Why do extra work when it really is not needed? 

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 07:40:59 pm »
It will never die. I know so many people that follow the 1 week primary and 2 week secondary schedule. I think the reason is it often doesn't hurt to do it.

I never liked the  1-2-3 method.  I always went 2-1-3.  Now, its just 2 or 3 then package.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline crakers540

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 06:43:29 pm »
I get a lot of crap from my boil kettle into my primary, so I rack to secondary to get beer off the trub (usually after 2 weeks).

Maybe I need to not worry so much about getting EVERYTHING out of my boil kettle (greedy), or not worry about off flavors from the trub.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 09:59:57 am »
I get a lot of crap from my boil kettle into my primary, so I rack to secondary to get beer off the trub (usually after 2 weeks).

Maybe I need to not worry so much about getting EVERYTHING out of my boil kettle (greedy), or not worry about off flavors from the trub.

A couple tests have shown that beer fermented on trub tastes better and finishes clearer than beer with the trub removed.  Go figure...

www.dennybrew.com

Offline crakers540

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 10:36:09 am »

A couple tests have shown that beer fermented on trub tastes better and finishes clearer than beer with the trub removed.  Go figure...
Even if there is a lot of hop residuals left in the trub?

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 10:36:37 am »

That's good to know, I lost almost a quart of the alt I just brewed due to leaving all the trub behind.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Ricalli

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 04:32:21 pm »
I have seen many of people say use secondary or you don't need to. Personally I really don't think it matters that much. I bottle my beer so I use a secondary just to get it ready for bottling quicker/clearer. But I don't think it matters. lot of arguments out there for both.