Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Double Pitching a high gravity IPA  (Read 4331 times)

Offline GaryO

• 1st Kit
  • "Not all those who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkien
Double Pitching a high gravity IPA
« on: April 08, 2016, 09:44:07 am »
I have a question, I am in the process of brewing a high gravity IPA/specialty Ale, target OG of 1.074 est abv of 7.75% and I calculated the required yeast cell count closer to two packs of US-05 (my choice of yeast for this recipe)
Not all that familiar with double pitching but have always started my yeasts prior to brewing and that includes liquid yeast with no issues.

Has anyone done double pitching before and is there any tips or things to look for that can be potential problems/issues?

expect to ferment at 68-70 degrees during primary, will give it an additional seven to ten days at 70 degrees after a stable FG is achieved for any clean up then cold crash before kegging.

Thanks for any suggestions..

GaryO

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Double Pitching a high gravity IPA
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 09:45:23 am »
FWIW, I have always found one pack of 05 fine for that gravity.  It isn't all that high.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 09:52:53 am »
By "double pitching" you mean just using more yeast?  If so, I don't see anything to worry about with that.

I don't use 05 too often but, like Denny, I've been fine with 1 pack when I do. 
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline GaryO

• 1st Kit
  • "Not all those who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkien
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 10:48:56 am »
Thanks for that, first time brewing this style of Ale and perhaps being too cautious.
Appreciated the comment

GaryO

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 05:27:52 pm »
Yup.  No worries. I have taken a single rehydrated packet of US-O5 up to 1.080 OG with proper aeration and no issues. That stuff ferments like a work horse. You are more than fine with 2 packets.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 12:52:24 pm »
You should run the numbers using a yeast calculator, and then promptly throw them in the waste bin.  If you want to know why yeast calculators do more harm than good, read "Yeast Cultures Are Like Nuclear Weapons" in the blogs section over on the Experimental Brewing website.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 01:16:27 pm »
This makes me feel real good about my under-pitch of lager yeast into under-aerated wort and the resulting 90 hour lag. :(

Don't think I'll be reusing that yeast. ;D

Thanks for the article I learned a few things.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline coryday

• 1st Kit
Double Pitching a high gravity IPA
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 06:03:46 am »
GaryO, I may have missed it but how many gallons are you brewing? Just for some ear candy, here's a podcast (Apple) with the technical sales rep from Fermentis and they talk a lot about yeast. If you have an Android device, let me know and I'll get you a different link. https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/come-and-brew-it-radio/id966373774?mt=2&i=366668406

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 06:05:28 am by coryday »

Offline BrewBurn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 09:01:53 pm »
Hey GaryO; just curious...how did fermentation go with this one?

I have 6 gallons of an IPA in primary with some fruit pulp that I added at the end of the boil. OG 1.080 and used the same yeast. I'm estimating an ABV just above 11% and a couple local brewers I've spoke with think the second pitch may be necessary to get to all that added sugar--yet they've never done this themselves.... Any tips?
B&C

Currently Fermenting: Double IPA w/Mango
Last Bottled: Pilsner
On Deck: Belgian IPA

RPIScotty

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 03:15:50 am »

I have 6 gallons of an IPA in primary with some fruit pulp that I added at the end of the boil. OG 1.080 and used the same yeast. I'm estimating an ABV just above 11% and a couple local brewers I've spoke with think the second pitch may be necessary to get to all that added sugar--yet they've never done this themselves.... Any tips?

Keep in mind that estimating 11% ABV with an OG of 1.080 means you'll need to reach 100% Apparent Attenuation.

My tip? Let the beer reach final gravity with this pitch of yeast and stop there. Why do you feel the need to a.) get such a high ABV beer and b.) have such an attenuated beer?

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 07:59:16 am »

Yeah, you won't get to 11% abv with a 1.080 starting gravity. Not with US-O5 anyway. It simply won't dry out the beer that much. And you will want some residual sugars in there to balance out the hop load from your additions.

RPIScotty

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 08:03:36 am »

Yeah, you won't get to 11% abv with a 1.080 starting gravity. Not with US-O5 anyway. It simply won't dry out the beer that much. And you will want some residual sugars in there to balance out the hop load from your additions.

That's another good point. Over-attenuation will likely give you more bitterness than you planned for.

I think it would be fair to assume that the IBU value you targeted was based on an average attenuation, say 75ish %.

Offline BrewBurn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 06:13:31 pm »

That's another good point. Over-attenuation will likely give you more bitterness than you planned for.

I think it would be fair to assume that the IBU value you targeted was based on an average attenuation, say 75ish %.

Thank you both! I'd rather the lower ABV anyway. The estimate was based on a recipe change from a local brewer who collaborated on this one. I'll just let the primary take it's course...cheers!
B&C

Currently Fermenting: Double IPA w/Mango
Last Bottled: Pilsner
On Deck: Belgian IPA