Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FERMENTING THE IPA  (Read 2288 times)

Offline PAYCHECK

• Cellarman
    • Split Hops Brewing
FERMENTING THE IPA
« on: March 24, 2016, 06:49:27 pm »
So I have brewed up a Kumquat IPA which I am rightfully calling the "Cali Kumquat IPA"  It is going to be around 104 IBU's, Suggested Starting Gravity of 1.054 which mine into the fermentor was 1.052.

I have been fermenting it for 5 days now at 19.8 Celcius and took a gravity reading today which shows it at 1.026

Suggested Final Gravity is supposed to be at 1.012.  My question to the pros out there is simple, I am going to turn the temperature up to 20.3 Celcius and let it go for another few days to see if I can activate the yeast, almost perform a Diacetyl rest in essence, then take it down to to 18 Celsius and let it go another week with the dry hopping addition of 2 ounces of Mosaic, and one ounce of Galaxy hops.  I am curious does anyone see an issue with this.  After which I will purge the trub and yeast, cold crash for four days at 33 deg. F. and then bottle and keg.

I really want to try and hit that 1.012 gravity though and am perplexed as to why i did not get it i the beginning.  I pitched three viles of yeast into 66 deg. wort and it went off pretty quick with a four day fermentation.
Brewing is all I ever think about!

RPIScotty

Re: FERMENTING THE IPA
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 06:59:34 pm »
It's only been 5 days. I'd let it ride after bumping the temperature up.

I heard a wise man once say, "The beer makes the schedule not the calendar." Or something along those lines.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 07:52:45 pm »
You're going to raise the temp 0.5C? Not much difference. Won't hurt, but doesn't seem necessary.

If you do raise the temp I would leave it there after. You don't need to drop temp for the dry hop.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 07:19:36 am »
is 1.054 and 104 IBU correct? that's gonna be bitter. I'd generally want to see a 1.070 or so with that IBU load.

as others have said, have patience, bump the temp but don't lower it again until the beer is done. yeast like getting warmer but they don't like getting colder. makes them sleepy
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 09:35:40 am »
is 1.054 and 104 IBU correct? that's gonna be bitter. I'd generally want to see a 1.070 or so with that IBU load.

as others have said, have patience, bump the temp but don't lower it again until the beer is done. yeast like getting warmer but they don't like getting colder. makes them sleepy

THIS^^^^  where the hell did that recipe come from?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mharding73

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 01:44:35 pm »
Is it really 104 IBU? Beersmith can lead you the wrong way in terms of IBU as we all know. 

Offline PAYCHECK

• Cellarman
    • Split Hops Brewing
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 04:49:53 pm »

Sorry IBU's are 98.1 not 104

I have it at 20 Celcius dry hopped it this morning and am going to let that go another three days, then cold crash it.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 05:17:41 pm »

I have it at 20 Celcius dry hopped it this morning and am going to let that go another three days, then cold crash it.
Still pretty bigger. But to each their own

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline PAYCHECK

• Cellarman
    • Split Hops Brewing
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 06:13:45 pm »

Still pretty bigger. But to each their own

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

That is suggested IBU's I think mine may be a bit less since I did not use the Australian Helga instead switched out to the Warrior which was an alpha of 15.5 vs. 17.5

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 07:43:17 pm »

Did you check gravity again before dry hopping?  If it was my beer, I'd wait for it to reach terminal gravity before throwing anymore changes its way.  I also wonder about the BUs to GU ratio, maybe post the recipe to show us what you are brewing- if it has a lot of calculated IBUs from late additions then it may not be as bitter as the stats say.  I'm just curious about it.

Brew on