Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash steps/Beer body/Fermentable sugars  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Attik

• Cellarman
Mash steps/Beer body/Fermentable sugars
« on: March 25, 2016, 06:17:09 am »
I am having a debate with a colleague as we are going to brew an IPA today.
 I am willing to do a mash step from 60 to 65°c to get all the fermentable sugars out, whilst he is saying it is not necessary as the the sugar range from those temperatures are same, so they will be extracted identically.
I understand that mashing at different temperature will give the beer more body...
We would like to get more opinions to see what you guys think and whethet it makes sense or not.

Thanks

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Mash steps/Beer body/Fermentable sugars
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 07:14:36 am »
I think step mashing is a waste of effort.  You can try it if you like, but probably will not detect much difference compared to single infusion, unless the total rest times are greater with the step mashing than just a single rest.  Time is the biggest variable in my opinion, and which most people tend to ignore.  In my mind, of course a beer mashed for 30 minutes at X temperature and for 30 minutes at Y temperature and another 30 minutes at Z temperature is going to have better attenuation and less body as compared to a single infusion for 60 minutes at Y temperature, because of all the extra time it takes dorking around even getting the wort to those temperatures.  Maybe it takes 10-20 minutes to transition the temperatures between steps, and this adds even more time.  The more time you are in a zone of less than about 70 C, the drier the beer is going to be.  Alternatively, if you really want a dry beer with light body, then just mash for 90 minutes at 65 C and call it a day, and skip all the extra futzing around.  If you want you can also save a whole lot of time and cut that back to 40-45 minutes if you don't want the beer to turn out too dry.

That's my 2.5 cents.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 07:15:36 am »
Why are you mashing at 60C (140 F)? You are converting almost no starch into sugar at that temperature.  In contrast, 65 C (149 F) is a useful mash temperature.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 07:17:34 am »
Why are you mashing at 60C (140 F)? You are converting almost no starch into sugar at that temperature.  In contrast, 65 C (149 F) is a useful mash temperature.

I'll bet a whole hell of a lot more goes on at 60 C (140 F) than most brewers care to recognize or admit.  If we tried it we might even like it.  But like I said.... it's really just more TIME less than 70 C (158 F), and TIME is more of what really matters than temperature.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 08:16:17 am »

I'll bet a whole hell of a lot more goes on at 60 C (140 F) than most brewers care to recognize or admit.  If we tried it we might even like it.  But like I said.... it's really just more TIME less than 70 C (158 F), and TIME is more of what really matters than temperature.

Sounds like an experiment in the making to me. 
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 08:23:08 am »
Time definitely comes into play for lower mash temps. I remember seeing Annie Johnson's recipe for Mow The Damn Lawn light lager (HOTY a few years back) - she mashed 145F for 2 hours.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 09:33:32 am »
And a lot depends on the malt you use.  Most malts, especially domestic malts, have so much diastatic power that mash temps make a lot less difference than they used to.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 11:40:43 am »
And a lot depends on the malt you use.  Most malts, especially domestic malts, have so much diastatic power that mash temps make a lot less difference than they used to.

Excellent point.  Try the same experiments with 100% Dark Munich malt and you won't get the same results as with pale malts.
Dave

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 03:32:36 pm »
I mash my IPA @ 150 for 90 min. I also fly sparge so there is more time.  I like the attenuation I get w/o adding sugar. It is Golden Promise and Rahr. I agree with what has been said about single temp rest. I have a HERMS that is collecting spider webs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B