Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hoppy American Wheat recipe help  (Read 3481 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Hoppy American Wheat recipe help
« on: April 11, 2016, 10:39:49 am »
I am designing a hoppy American wheat beer. Here is my plan:

3G - OG 1051
50% White Wheat
50% 2-row
40 IBU Warrior @ 60
0.5 oz Cascade steep 20 min @ 175
0.5 oz Amarillo steep 20 min @ 175
0.5 oz Cascade Dry Hop 7d
0.5 oz Amarillo Dry Hop 7d
WY 1010 American Wheat

Questions:

1. Water profile: yellow dry?
2. Mash Ph target: 5.3?
3. I have thought about dumping the warrior and switching to first wort hopping with cascade or Amarillo.
4. Grain bill look ok? Lots of people add Munich or caramel.

Offline Iliff Ave

Re: Hoppy American Wheat recipe help
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 10:59:35 am »
Personally I would decrease the bittering addition and at least double your late/dry hop additions. I guess it depends on your goals though. Are basically looking to brew a wheat pale ale?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline tommymorris

Hoppy American Wheat recipe help
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 11:05:11 am »
Wheat pale ale is a good description. I have thought about decreasing the IBU to 25. 

Doubling the late additions? This a 3G batch. I could do that. I don't go hoppy too often so I am not that sure about the quantities needed.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 11:08:21 am »
Wheat pale ale is a good description. I have thought about decreasing the IBU to 25. 

Doubling the late additions? This a 3G batch. I could do that. I don't go hoppy too often so I am not that sure about the quantities needed.

Sorry didn't realize it was a 3 gallon batch. Maybe increase the amounts by 50% or so?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 11:12:02 am »
Looking at Gumballhead (which I have never had) for reference. They do have more late hops per gallon.

I really enjoyed Shafly Yakima Wheat Ale which is sort of my inspiration. Except they don't use citrusy hops.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 12:49:16 pm »
I would say Rahr Red Wheat malt would fair better than white wheat.  I do not like white wheat though, it is a little on the bland side to me.  I also would think a touch of caraWheat to add some depth of sweetness to go with the Amarillo citrus hops would go a long way.  Gumballhead is probably a FBH add with a 10 min and whirlpool/dry hop.  I once read an article on the best aroma/flavor combo is taking 1/2 of the late addition dry hop hops and whirlpooling them after boil under 170F.  It was a 3 way blind taste on a fruity APA done with 100 blind testers and that method got the best reviews.  I do believe Gumballhead is a single Amarillo hop though.

Also gumballhead is only 35 IBU
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 02:58:50 pm »
Whoops. I already purchased the white wheat. I chose it because it supposedly has larger kernels. I guess I'll try red wheat next time. This is a style I have been meaning to brew for years.

I had a hoppy wheat recently (5% ABV and 25 IBU) and thought to  myself this is what a session IPA ought to be. I was amazed how well the hops played with a relatively low IBU and gravity.  Some of the session IPAs clearly have issues where the base beer doesn't support the hop load. You get a hop slam with no follow through of a fullness/mouth feel you get from a big beer.

Notice I didn't use the word "balance".