Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I want to brew an Altbier  (Read 7496 times)

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
Re: I want to brew an Altbier
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2016, 01:57:08 pm »
Thanks guys...making an Alt sounds even better now. The recipe you mention Denny is that the all Munich and 10% Aromatic Malt?

No, it's pretty much the one I posted.

I like the look of what you posted.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2016, 03:49:01 pm »
I brewed this yesterday: D-Dorf alt, 3 1/4 gallons, O G 1.046, IBUs upper 40s
4 1/4 pounds Heidelburg pale malt
1 pound Bestmaltz munich malt
8 ounces Bestmaltz Vienna malt
8 ounces carawheat malt
2 ounces chocolate wheat malt
mashed at 151f for 45 minutes
1 ounce spalt @ 3.2% plus
3/5 ounce backyard sterlings @ 7% (+_) for 45 minutes
pinch of irish moss plus
1/8 teaspoon nutrient for 22 minutes
1/2 ounce spalt for 21 minutes
1.2 ounce spalt for 10 minutes
1 pack K-97 German ale yeast pitched dry at 60f

I was going for a little higher O G, but ended up with a bit more wort so it evened out.
I pitched the yeast at 1pm and saw a very faint hint of fermentation at bedtime: 10pm. At 7am the airlock was burping every 4 seconds and there was over 1/4 inch foam
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2016, 04:09:54 pm »
Look up Milo's Alt.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2016, 04:49:39 pm »
Look up Milo's Alt.

Love that recipe, even though it's an Americanized version.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2016, 06:02:45 pm »
I've brewed at both ends of the malt bill spectrum and I have to say that neither grist is correct. With a very high proportion of Munich malt, the beer is too richly malty. I just brewed the recipe that Denny posted which is at the all Pils end of the spectrum and have to say that its fine, but it needs just a bit of Munich to add to the depth of malt flavor. I'm guessing that about 25% light Munich might meet the depth I expect. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2016, 06:20:32 pm »
I've brewed at both ends of the malt bill spectrum and I have to say that neither grist is correct. With a very high proportion of Munich malt, the beer is too richly malty. I just brewed the recipe that Denny posted which is at the all Pils end of the spectrum and have to say that its fine, but it needs just a bit of Munich to add to the depth of malt flavor. I'm guessing that about 25% light Munich might meet the depth I expect.
There is what would be a conundrum for competitions. Brew the recipe, or brew with some Munich malt to meet judges expectations?
A Grand Master II judge we know said that when she toured Uerige, they talked of a complex mash schedule they use with many decoctions. That might be why a little Munich helps reach what people think it should be.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2016, 08:30:34 am »
Alta are easy drinkers, malt flavor is bready and shouldn't be caramelly, low to no hop aroma and flavor, bitter finish that makes you want more. Clean fermentation, low esters. German malts and hops are key to the style, along with a clean ale yeast that can work in the high 50s F. They should also be lagered for 3-4 weeks at 40F.

The Duesseldorf Alts are from smaller breweries, essentially brewpubs. Alts do not travel well, so few have had a good example. There are commercial examples that are distributed in Germany, such as Diebels and Frankenheimer, that are too caramelly for me.

I'm not sure of the notion that the Northern style is more popular.

In Duesseldorf, there are differences between the breweries Altbiers. Some have a Munich malt flavor in the background, some do not. They all have a firm bitter finish. Zum Uerige has an intensely bitter finish, and is my favorite. The Jamil and Gordon recipes might make something close to Schumacher or Diebels, but not like Uerige.

The Uerige recipe just posted is old, I have brewed it. Water treatment is something I am still working on. The bitterness is high, but does not linger long when you have it fresh at the pub.

Thanks for that info.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2016, 08:37:25 am »
Alta are easy drinkers, malt flavor is bready and shouldn't be caramelly, low to no hop aroma and flavor, bitter finish that makes you want more. Clean fermentation, low esters. German malts and hops are key to the style, along with a clean ale yeast that can work in the high 50s F. They should also be lagered for 3-4 weeks at 40F.

The Duesseldorf Alts are from smaller breweries, essentially brewpubs. Alts do not travel well, so few have had a good example. There are commercial examples that are distributed in Germany, such as Diebels and Frankenheimer, that are too caramelly for me.

In Duesseldorf, there are differences between the breweries Altbiers. Some have a Munich malt flavor in the background, some do not. They all have a firm bitter finish. Zum Uerige has an intensely bitter finish, and is my favorite. The Jamil and Gordon recipes might make something close to Schumacher or Diebels, but not like Uerige.

The Uerige recipe just posted is old, I have brewed it. Water treatment is something I am still working on. The bitterness is high, but does not linger long when you have it fresh at the pub.

Thanks for that info.
You are welcome.

I have lost several afternoons in Düsseldorf, never to find them.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2016, 08:39:01 am »

That is one of the items on my beer travel bucket list.    :)
Jon H.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2016, 08:41:47 am »

Thanks for that info.
You are welcome.

Even better would be enjoying it from those awesome little glasses.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2016, 08:47:46 am »
Here's my recipe that scored a 45 in competition (personally I don't think it was THAT great but maybe deserves high 30s).  Note: Only reason Hallertau hops are listed twice is because I used two different kinds, pellet & leaf, with different alphas.  The rest of you's can just use a single charge.  Another note: This is a 1/3 batch size.  Multiply everything by 3 if you want 5 gallons.

Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2016, 09:13:13 am »
I see the Zum Uerige recipe mentioned a lot in the search but I have yet to come across THE recipe...can someone point me to that?

Edit*...Or at least which version is best.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 09:26:41 am by PORTERHAUS »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2016, 09:51:05 am »
I see the Zum Uerige recipe mentioned a lot in the search but I have yet to come across THE recipe...can someone point me to that?

The recipe comes from Dr. Frank Hebmuller, brewmaster at Uerige.  Here's something I wrote on B&V years ago....

Water can be relatively hard with a high carbonate level.  Malt is based on well modified pils, with a bit of caramel malt and a bit of "chocolate roasted wheat malt".  Mash schedule has rests at 125, 144, 158, and 169 (mashout). Boil time is 60-70 min. Mittelfruh, Perle, or Spalt are the preferred hops. Aroma hop addition is about 25% of the total hop amount. Add aroma hops no earlier than 20 min. before flameout. OG is 1.044-1.052. Primary between 59-68F. Secondary at 50F. Then condition at 32F for 14 days. FG should be 1.008-1.014. 4.3-5.5% ABV Here's the recipe he gives for 5 gal. ....

5.9 lb. Pils malt
    .15 lb. Caramel malt (e.g. Weyermann Caramunich)
    1.34 oz. Chocolate Roasted malt (e.g. weyermann Carafa Spezial Type 1)
    .7 oz. Hallertau Mittlefruh - 6.5% - 60 min.
    .46 oz. Perele - 7.5% - 60 min.
    1.11 oz. Spalt - 5% - 20 min.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2016, 10:44:15 am »

Thanks for that info.
You are welcome.

Even better would be enjoying it from those awesome little glasses.
The Stange in Düsseldorf are .25 liter. After a bunch of those, you count the tic marks, and say I had that much! Then it is time for a nap.

Stange translates to rod or cylinder, which those do resemble.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2016, 10:01:47 am »

The recipe comes from Dr. Frank Hebmuller, brewmaster at Uerige.  Here's something I wrote on B&V years ago....

Water can be relatively hard with a high carbonate level.  Malt is based on well modified pils, with a bit of caramel malt and a bit of "chocolate roasted wheat malt".  Mash schedule has rests at 125, 144, 158, and 169 (mashout). Boil time is 60-70 min. Mittelfruh, Perle, or Spalt are the preferred hops. Aroma hop addition is about 25% of the total hop amount. Add aroma hops no earlier than 20 min. before flameout. OG is 1.044-1.052. Primary between 59-68F. Secondary at 50F. Then condition at 32F for 14 days. FG should be 1.008-1.014. 4.3-5.5% ABV Here's the recipe he gives for 5 gal. ....

5.9 lb. Pils malt
    .15 lb. Caramel malt (e.g. Weyermann Caramunich)
    1.34 oz. Chocolate Roasted malt (e.g. weyermann Carafa Spezial Type 1)
    .7 oz. Hallertau Mittlefruh - 6.5% - 60 min.
    .46 oz. Perele - 7.5% - 60 min.
    1.11 oz. Spalt - 5% - 20 min.

Did he recommend a specific yeast?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women