Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fat Tire  (Read 3412 times)

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
Fat Tire
« on: March 25, 2016, 03:10:56 pm »
All the hype behind bringing this ale to the east coast I was really expecting something terrific.  Just had my first. Very disappointing. Literally no taste. I'm looking for malt. None. Trying to detect hops. None. Is it just me?  Opinions.   Reminds me of the time they brought Coors east back in the early 70's. Same reaction on my part.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Fat Tire
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 03:15:29 pm »
Yeah, it's a very mild amber. I remember the hype before we got it here (and any number of other beers like Coors,etc., too). Nothing bad or offensive, just kinda boring IMO.
Jon H.

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 03:18:02 pm »
Yeah, it's a very mild amber. I remember the hype before we got it here (and any number of other beers like Coors,etc., too). Nothing bad or offensive, just kinda boring IMO.
Agreed.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 03:24:57 pm »
It's pretty good fresh, especially on tap. In my area it's very difficult to find fresh though, and I would assume the same may be true for the rest of the east coast.

Best pint of it I've ever had was down in Ft. Walton Beach, FL. Tasted like liquid bread.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 03:30:30 pm »
Back when it first was introduced it was nice to be able to find a good craft beer wherever you went in the Western US.  Tastes change though and having it now, it just seems sweet and bland.
I do like the choice of having it on most Southwest flights - that's quite a leap of craft beer awareness.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 03:31:56 pm »
Surprised there is still hype surrounding that beer. That was basically my introduction into craft beer almost 20 years ago. I think it is a good beer but nothing special. In 1998 it was an eye opener for me...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 03:38:51 pm »
Surprised there is still hype surrounding that beer. That was basically my introduction into craft beer almost 20 years ago. I think it is a good beer but nothing special. In 1998 it was an eye opener for me...
Hype because we couldn't get it. Every time I went into a beer store that had a wide variety and asked for it, their eyes would bulge out and say "oh my supplier can't get it this far east".

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 03:42:00 pm »
I might choose a Coors banquet beer over a Fat Tire.  Never really enjoyed it.  Even 20 years ago.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 03:42:15 pm »
Hype because we couldn't get it. Every time I went into a beer store that had a wide variety and asked for it, their eyes would bulge out and say "oh my supplier can't get it this far east".

Oh I assumed the hype was related to it supposedly being a really good beer.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 04:49:01 pm »
Fat Tire is my wife's go to summer beer. I really don't care for it either. However, New Belgium Ranger and Rampant are very solid IPAs at a nice price (usually $8.99 a six).
Frank

Offline bondra76

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 09:38:09 pm »
Fat Tire was overrated from the minute it came out. But it's built New Belgium to what it is today I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 09:50:55 pm »
I'm not a really a fan, either.
New Belgium has other beers that are excellent, though.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 10:36:30 pm »
Fat Tire was my cross over beer from Macro to Micro. I still like to have a glass of it from time to time for that reason. I owe it a lot :)
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 10:38:21 pm »
I swear the recipe has changed from several years ago. I used to love the stuff...now I cant even choke it down. It has gone to s*** over the years. I no longer taste the bready biscuity malt character and fresh hop balance. Its watered down and I honestly think its more than just my tastes evolving.  Little by little I think they tweaked the recipe for the masses. It surely does not seem to be the same beer that boosted me into craft beer.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 04:43:33 pm »
I did a Fat Tire "clone" recipe with Abbey Ale yeast a while back and I thought it was pretty good.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 02:46:33 am by BrewBama »