Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental All Oat Ale:Results are in!  (Read 12997 times)

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Experimental All Oat Ale
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2016, 08:36:31 pm »
Probably bugging everyone with too many updates but I cant help but be excited. I bottled the beer today. after a day of cold crashing and it looked amazing. The yeast dropped out and it smelled great and it looked good. Unfortunately I was too distracted with bottling I forgot to take a picture... Instead here is some of the beer I will be enjoying over the weekend.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3AGvzk7UeSVUW40X20yTm5JNzQ
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2016, 05:23:00 pm »
For the record, I appreciate the updates, and have been trying to do better about making sure I update my recipes on here as well.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2016, 07:22:04 pm »
I'm glad that some are interested in this beer otherwise I feel like I am talking to my self on this thread haha. The beer turned out a lot lighter than I anticipated but my main concern is malt profile for this one.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2016, 04:34:52 am »
The way I see it, I read way more than I post. I figure others may be doing the same, so I've started updating my recipe posts in case someone was interested but didn't have anything to add to the conversation.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2016, 02:55:49 pm »
The way I see it, I read way more than I post. I figure others may be doing the same, so I've started updating my recipe posts in case someone was interested but didn't have anything to add to the conversation.
+1 That is exactly how I feel, I mostly just read through the forum and occasionally I find a post where I think my input might be useful. A beer like this I felt just had to be shared in depth because it's just a weird unique brew and I thought others might find it cool to see how it turns out.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline dshepard

• Cellarman
  • Concord, NC
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2016, 03:29:27 am »
FYI. I am another silent lurker watching your post. I am curious to see how it comes out. Keep the updates coming.  ;D
Concord, NC

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2016, 11:20:38 pm »
The results are in on the final product!!! After giving the beer time to carb up in the bottles I cracked one open about 6pm early tonight. I am going to quickly recap my process and ingredients, and then get to my final thoughts. The final recipe ended up being, and it was this for simplicity.

2lbs TF Oat Malt
.25lbs Flaked oats
.25lbs Simpsons Golden naked oats
.2oz Newport hops
US-05

The brew day went smoothly, followed my step mash schedule, everything played out fine you can read in earlier post on the thread. Beer fermented @ around 66F to 68F for about 12 days and was cold crashed for one night then bottled. Now Finally the results.

This beer turned out different from what I was expecting and certainly not in a bad way. First off my expected SRM was wrong and this beer turned out crazy light probably 2-4 at most. The beer is decently clear considering the amount of flaked barley and not using a fining agent.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3AGvzk7UeSVczI3U3h0TEpxQWs
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3AGvzk7UeSVUHhjbkYtQ2R6SVk
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3AGvzk7UeSVYmxka24ySTd3d1E
The beer when poured into a sample glass had a soda like carbonation and the head faded immediately. When I poured the rest into a pint glass aggressively it had a thick head that lasted but still had some soda like carbonation. The one picture was taken a good two minutes after the beer was poured and it still had CO2 rising from the bottom almost champagne like.

Aroma/Flavor: I found the beer had a fruity smell that reminded me of champagne with a little spice. The smell was not overpowering but subtle and pleasant. The flavor almost mimicked the aroma. A spicy earthy bitterness from the hops and while maintaining a super light beer quality and the yeast contributed some subtle fruit flavors as well. Tasted to me almost like a Blonde Ale that was on the verge of being a Pale Ale.
 One very subtle aroma that picked up while mashing in and when first pouring the beer was a wet hay like aroma which I found enjoyable and I think the oat malt is the cause. 

Overall this beer was a good beer. My parents and girlfriend also sampled some and they enjoyed it as well. The end product is a light and refreshing beer and I think paired with the right hop/yeast combo could be an awesome beer. I think I am going to grab some more oat malt and play around with the recipe until I get it right. Changes for All Oat Ale 2.0 will be using a different yeast and using some fruity hops to brighten up this beer maybe Mosaic and Simcoe or Cascade and Galaxy? Anyone was has anything to add or question or whatever feel free to discuss. I had a lot of fun with this beer glad it paid off. Prost!
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline GRIMREAPER

• Cellarman
Re: Experimental All Oat Ale:Results are in!
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2016, 05:02:17 pm »
add me to the stalker list.  thanks for the follow up.  was curious how it would turn out.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2016, 05:42:19 pm »
Would an all oat ale be gluten free?

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2016, 11:30:48 pm »
Well from what I have read is that natural oats are in fact gluten free, however most processed oats are processed with wheat and other grains which can contaminate the oat even in trace amounts. This trace amount of contamination can cause trouble with some people who are gluten intolerant but might not be a problem with others. So the short answer is that it definitely reduces the amount of gluten to almost zero but might not be 100% gluten free. 
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout