Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sorachi Ace & Lemon Zest  (Read 2053 times)

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
Sorachi Ace & Lemon Zest
« on: March 26, 2016, 07:22:49 am »
I am brewing a 3 gal batch Golden Strong (OG 1.090) using 96% pils, 4% corn sugar, Magnum for bittering 33 IBus, 1 oz. Sorachi Ace at flame out/ 1oz. dry hop with WLP550 this morning and I am on the fence about adding a lemon zest.  My thoughts were to try to bring the lemonly character to the forefront, but not take over the beer.  I zested about .3 oz.

Has anyone ever used lemon zest with Sorachi Ace hops?  If so, how much?  Any thoughts or feedback?  Thanks in advance.

-Tony

-Tony

Offline JMJONES

• 1st Kit
Re: Sorachi Ace & Lemon Zest
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 09:04:49 am »
I'd be curious to the answer to this too.  I recently did an American Wheat lightly hopped with SA and 2oz of fresh orange zest added at 5 mins.  I got zero orange flavor or aroma with that much, so I'm not sure how much .3 oz will provide, although I would suspect lemon zest might be a little more potent.  However, the SA in my wheat did give me a very pleasant lemon note to the beer and I would use it again for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 09:09:28 am »
There's nothing wrong with giving it a shot, but I personally think that Sorachi + lemon zest would be much better in a saison, where a tart, sort of lemony character is often welcome. I think more of pear esters and pils malt character in BGSA. My $0.02  .
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 09:23:14 am »
I love Sorachi Ace hops, although I'll warn you that most people do not.  I think adding lemon zest is a fantastic idea.  However I would save it in some vodka and then just add the flavored vodka on bottling/kegging day several weeks away.  It should keep okay in vodka in your refrigerator for that long.

Cheers and enjoy.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 09:49:05 am »
There's nothing wrong with giving it a shot, but I personally think that Sorachi + lemon zest would be much better in a saison, where a tart, sort of lemony character is often welcome. I think more of pear esters and pils malt character in BGSA. My $0.02  .

Agreed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 10:10:14 am »
Thanks for the replies.  I decided to toss the zest in at flameout, but am going to get a vodka tincture going as well.

-Tony

-Tony

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 10:24:25 am »
Thanks for the replies.  I decided to toss the zest in at flameout, but am going to get a vodka tincture going as well.

-Tony

I'd just toss in the zest post fermentation if you're determined to use it.  No need for a tincture.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 02:21:57 pm »
I love Sorachi Ace hops, although I'll warn you that most people do not.  I think adding lemon zest is a fantastic idea.  However I would save it in some vodka and then just add the flavored vodka on bottling/kegging day several weeks away.  It should keep okay in vodka in your refrigerator for that long.

Cheers and enjoy.
Coming up soon in the rotation is a blonde standard strength saison with sorachi ace and kafir lime leaves.

Offline cblitzstein

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 02:39:41 pm »

Has anyone ever used lemon zest with Sorachi Ace hops?  If so, how much?  Any thoughts or feedback?  Thanks in advance.

-Tony

Try splitting the batch and doing half with lemon zest, half without. That'll let you know what you should do for the next batch.