Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop combo  (Read 1598 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Hop combo
« on: March 27, 2016, 03:22:50 am »
The pile of hops I got from YSO191 have suddenly sparked my interest in IPAs, or Session IPAs, or hoppy pale ales... whatever. I looked up a few threads on Summit. And I recently tried Eldorado in a blend, but I think it got lost. I also think i discovered the line of too much amarillo causing that metalic thing. It was faint, but there, and not something i want to try to recreate. I'm interested in your thoughts on this combo in a 6 gallon batch.

~42 IBUs from 30g Summit @ 60 min

25g CTZ / 25g Amarillo / 50g Eldorado wirlpool 15 min @ 170f

50g CTZ / 50g Amarillo / 50g Eldorado dry hop

What am I hoping for? Pine, citrus, tropical, dare i say watermelon? And no garlic.

Im also thinking about doing away with the Amarillo this time and going 50/50 CTZ/Eldorado in both whirlpool and dry.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 04:02:16 am by klickitat jim »

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Hop combo
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 06:45:42 am »
I like the idea of 50/50 Amarillo and el dorado. And I'm guessing that you probably don't want this advice, but I'm going to give it anyways. Sub the summit out with CTZ. First step of using summit in your hop schedule: Thtiw it I the trash.

But I understand that you want to give it a shot. Who knows, YOU might like it.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 07:18:11 am »
+1. Looks good to me except for the Summit. Life's too short to use that crap.
Jon H.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 09:06:31 am »
I hate Summit too.  Yuck
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 09:25:58 am »

I love Summit and use it fairly often.  I assume you're referring to the onion/garlic thing?  That's a flaw in the hops.  If you get good ones, then you don't get onion/garlic.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 09:33:39 am »

I love Summit and use it fairly often.  I assume you're referring to the onion/garlic thing?  That's a flaw in the hops.  If you get good ones, then you don't get onion/garlic.

Yeah. I love the tangerine part of it, but every single time I've used it I got 'beat you over the head' onion/garlic. Several times from different vendors.
Jon H.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 09:56:33 am »

I must be lucky as I've never gotten onion/garlic. It's one of my favorite too. The next beer on my schedule is an American amber using summit, simcoe, and saphir which turned out great the previous time that I brewed it.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 10:15:19 am »
Every time I tried some it was nasty onion/garlic.  Never got a good batch of it.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 03:50:20 pm »
Can you do a rub/smell and detect the onion/garlic? Or is it hidden and roll of the dice?

I only have about 6 ounces of it, and it was free, so I'm not set in stone on using it. By the way the AA was 13, kinda low, so im hopeful that they harvested early
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 03:52:32 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 03:57:31 pm »
Can you do a rub/smell and detect the onion/garlic? Or is it hidden and roll of the dice?

I only have about 6 ounces of it, and it was free, so I'm not set in stone on using it. By the way the AA was 13, kinda low, so im hopeful that they harvested early

I can usually smell it just by smelling in the hop bag. Doesn't mean it couldn't be in the final product, but the times I had it the worst I could smell it just from the pellets. If you don't notice it, I'd just blend away and try it. Definitely wouldn't single hop with it.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 04:02:49 pm »

I can usually smell it just by smelling in the hop bag. Doesn't mean it couldn't be in the final product, but the times I had it the worst I could smell it just from the pellets. If you don't notice it, I'd just blend away and try it. Definitely wouldn't single hop with it.
I actually just cut open the bag, and it strikes me as dry onion skin and garlic. I sealed them and put them back in the freezer so that I can get rid of them in a year. Lol

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 04:06:46 pm »
I got a lot of onion/garlic from homegrown Cascade that I harvested a bit late. Same thing from some English hops from a friend's garden. I assume it can happen to any hops that are overripe.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 04:07:32 pm »

I actually just cut open the bag, and it strikes me as dry onion skin and garlic. I sealed them and put them back in the freezer so that I can get rid of them in a year. Lol

Yeah, never a good sign when they smell like onion dip, lol.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 04:30:41 pm »

Yeah, never a good sign when they smell like onion dip, lol.

You might be onto something here, Jon. Let's blend them with some sour cream and make some Wavy Lays dip!  :P

We'll call it High Alpha West Coast Onion Dip
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 04:39:15 pm by fmader »
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 04:41:15 pm »
You might be onto something here, Jon. Let's blend them with some sour cream and make some Wavy Lays dip!  :P

We'll call it High Alpha West Coast Onion Dip

I guarantee if I did, it would taste like straight tangerine.   :)
Jon H.