Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Small Batch BIAB Automation with Waring Pro SB30  (Read 1309 times)

RPIScotty

Small Batch BIAB Automation with Waring Pro SB30
« on: March 27, 2016, 06:28:54 pm »
So after some thoughts on how to automate my small batches (0.75-1.2 gallons) and getting the very kind nudge out of the kitchen by my better half, I have come up with my idea:

1.) in an effort to simplify down to one vessel, I have decided to use my 12 qt. pot as a BIAB vessel.

2.) the main heat source for direct fire mashing and boiling will be a Warinpg Pro SB30 single electric burner. At 1.3kW it's grossly underpowered and not strong enough to support the weight of most batches but for me it's perfect.

3.) control will come from an Auber 1512 and Auber SSVR with optional rheostat. I will likely include a switch to go from PID control of the burner to manual control via the SSVR. Probe will live in the lid.

4.) the only kettle models I will make will be a ball valve and screen on the outlet and inlet near the top for pump return and whirl pooling.

5.) will be using one of the cheap Chinese tan 12v pumps for various tasks and chiller. Setup will include CFC chiller.

The footprint is going to be ridiculously small if I can fit the electronics in the burner housing, which if I'm crafty (I'm an electronics tinkerer) will accommodate the SSVR, relay for PID, PID and all the switching.

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
Re: Small Batch BIAB Automation with Waring Pro SB30
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 06:45:49 pm »
4-6 qt slow cooker + stc-1000 + 0.5G electric kettle = instant dough in and temp control.

All I have to do is wake up, make some coffee, and dough in. Come back after the mash is done, and transfer to the brew kettle.

Now if I had an insta-pot or one of those other multi-function appliances, I wouldn't even have to transfer, just pull the bag and start the boil. (hmm might have to try this out one day, sister has one I can borrow).

With this setup, I could easily brew every day as it's extremely hands off. Taking the time to clean and sanitize the fermenter generally takes longer than this setup.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 06:51:03 pm by Pricelessbrewing »

RPIScotty

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 07:01:34 pm »
4-6 qt slow cooker + stc-1000 + 0.5G electric kettle = instant dough in and temp control.

All I have to do is wake up, make some coffee, and dough in. Come back after the mash is done, and transfer to the brew kettle.

Now if I had an insta-pot or one of those other multi-function appliances, I wouldn't even have to transfer, just pull the bag and start the boil. (hmm might have to try this out one day, sister has one I can borrow).

With this setup, I could easily brew every day as it's extremely hands off. Taking the time to clean and sanitize the fermenter generally takes longer than this setup.

Can you elaborate on this setup a bit? Components, setup and brew day?

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 07:10:08 pm »
Strike water prepared either in the slow cooker using the lamp timer (takes about 2 hours to heat to 160~)

or strike water prepared in ~10 cup electric kettle, also used to prepare water for coffee.

Add water to slow cooker, add bag, add grains. Dough in with whisk.

Wilser biabag used to strain the mash tun (slow cooker plugged into stc-1000, I used to use a analog lamp timer to cycle the power on/off every 15 minutes. either of which will maintain temps +-1 degree)

mash tun is strained, sometimes I batch sparge in the brew kettle (pull bag, squeeze, dunk sparge, stir 5 minutes, pull bag, squeeze), sometimes I don't.

Combine first runnings with second runnings is sparge is done (pour first runnings from slow cooker into brew kettle.).

Proceed to boil.

So not "automated" in the sense that there's no interaction, but it's temp controlled and very easy to do. Takes about 5 minutes of active time.

Now if I can get that instapot idea to work, it'll be a all in one 1.5G capacity system and give me further incentive to buy one :P (like I need more kitchen appliances). No transfer needed. Pull grain bag, suspend over pot, turn put from temp control (yogurt/slow cooker setting) to boil/pressure cooker setting which should be able to maintain a good boil.