Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PID and temp probe problems  (Read 1424 times)

Offline we_glenn

• 1st Kit
PID and temp probe problems
« on: March 28, 2016, 09:13:41 am »
Need help.  I'm setting up a RIMS Rocket.  Using 2352 PID, SSR and RTD100 temp sensor from Auberins.com.  Everything works except temp readings fluctuate wildly.  Power it on and readings will go from 75 to 103 to 84 and back again.  Think it's related to a ground issue. The manual says the K type thermocouple may display exactly what's happening to me, wild fluctuations, and you need to take terminal 5 (ground) of PID to ground.  I know my sensor is not a K type but thought I'd try anyway.  When I first temped out a wire from ground lug to #5 it seemed to clear problem, reading was rock solid.  I powered down unit, and landed ground wire to #5, turned unit back on and I get orAL error which is sensor error.  The only thing different was when I tested I didn't have the heater element plugged in because I didn't want it to come on with no water in the rocket.  When I wired it up permanent I started recirculating water and plugged in the heater.  That's when the orAL error came up.  Something is definitely up with ground.  Only thing I can think is the PID is powered with 120V and my heater is 240V (all coming from same outlet).  Could the neutral of the 120 powering the PID be causing my ground issue?  I'm gonna try capping off neutral and powering PID with 240 and see if that does it. Didn't know if anyone has worked through this problem before. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 12:24:50 pm by we_glenn »

Offline we_glenn

• 1st Kit
Re: PID and temp probe problems
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 07:37:13 am »
Figured it out, it was the neutral on the 120 I was using to power the PID.  Thought since I had a 4 wire coming from my outlet that I'd just use 120 to power it.  Didn't think it would cause a problem but that RTD sensor is sensitive and it didn't like it.