Author Topic: commercial examples of helles lager  (Read 4160 times)

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
Re: commercial examples of helles lager
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 07:03:51 PM »
Had Hacker-Pschorr Munich Gold yesterday and it was not as good as I was expecting. Any recommendations for widely available examples of Helles? I have yet to try Paulaner's offereing...

From the website it looks like Maui Brewing is available in parts of Colorado. My absolute favorite Helles Lager is Maui's Bikini Blonde. Delicious stuff.

I have seen that around from time to time. I never buy their beer because it is usually insanely expensive. I will look around for this one.

Agreed, I find Maui Brewing to be one of the most overpriced breweries. I make an exception for this beer however. Otherwise I only by singles of their other beers once in awhile.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 07:26:45 PM »
Weihenstephaner Original, Augustiner Hell, Paulaner Premium, Spaten Premium, Ayinger Brau Hell are all Munich Ahelles.

Mahrs Hell or Bischshof Helles are examples of Franconian Helles, a little hoppier.

In your opinion how does the Hacker Pschorr stack up?
My persona preferences in Munich are:
Augustiner
Spaten
Paulaner
Löwenbräu
Hacker Pschorr
Hofbräuhaus

It has been awhile, but that is how I remember my list.

Thanks. The Hacker came off with a strange bitterness to me that didn't seem to be the hops. Could be a distribution/freshness issue. It wasn't bad by any means just not what I was hoping for.
I get a roughness from Hacker Pschorr beers that is kind of grainy. Might be the malt and hops?

The Hofbräu beers are just grainy to me.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Governing Committee
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Iliff Ave Brewhouse

• Official Poobah of No Life.
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 07:37:52 PM »
Weihenstephaner Original, Augustiner Hell, Paulaner Premium, Spaten Premium, Ayinger Brau Hell are all Munich Ahelles.

Mahrs Hell or Bischshof Helles are examples of Franconian Helles, a little hoppier.

In your opinion how does the Hacker Pschorr stack up?
My persona preferences in Munich are:
Augustiner
Spaten
Paulaner
Löwenbräu
Hacker Pschorr
Hofbräuhaus

It has been awhile, but that is how I remember my list.

Thanks. The Hacker came off with a strange bitterness to me that didn't seem to be the hops. Could be a distribution/freshness issue. It wasn't bad by any means just not what I was hoping for.
I get a roughness from Hacker Pschorr beers that is kind of grainy. Might be the malt and hops?

The Hofbräu beers are just grainy to me.

Ok that seems reassuring that it's not just me. I have had some domestic versions of Helles that I quite enjoyed but this was my first purchase of a German brewed product. I thought maybe the interpretation was different. I will work on that list to explore the style further.
On Tap/Bottled: Maibock, Spiced Copper, Iliff IPA, G Pils

Fermenting: American Strong w/Cherry
Up Next: Red Rye, Dunkel

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 07:49:39 PM »
With imports, freshness is always a factor too. I remember a time thinking I didn't like helles because the imports I drank were usually oxidized, with the unpleasant strong caramelly character. Until I found some Paulaner Premium in cans (never found it in cans since), stamped fairly fresh considering the distance, and with obviously no light struck issues. It was absolutely fantastic and totally changed my mind on helles. Been a while but I think the next beer I brewed was a helles.
Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2016, 08:14:25 PM »
For getting fresh helles, I've had really good luck with the 5-liter party kegs they seem to all come in. One of the local shops sells the Hofbrau helles for $20/5L.

Another shop sells Schlenkerla party kegs, though those are $45/5L. Still haven't coughed up the dough to try that one yet, although I love Schlenkerla.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2016, 08:39:55 PM »
For getting fresh helles, I've had really good luck with the 5-liter party kegs they seem to all come in. One of the local shops sells the Hofbrau helles for $20/5L.

Another shop sells Schlenkerla party kegs, though those are $45/5L. Still haven't coughed up the dough to try that one yet, although I love Schlenkerla.
This is something I've been meaning to get, is one of those 5L mini kegs.

Weihenstephaner Original is also my favorite. It's the perfect beer.

Sadly, we don't get Augustiner helles here in Iowa. Not sure why that is...

Offline tommymorris

• Brewmaster General
  • Tommy M.
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2016, 11:01:23 PM »
I found Schafly Helles Style Summer Lager to be delicious.

Is it a good example of the style? I couldn't tell ya. But, I liked it. Very silky smooth delicious malt flavor.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 12:53:53 AM »
I found Schafly Helles Style Summer Lager to be delicious.

Is it a good example of the style? I couldn't tell ya. But, I liked it. Very silky smooth delicious malt flavor.
Not likely, but if you like it, drink it.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 02:44:14 PM »
That helles is Hacker Pschorr's worst product IMO.

I am deeply in love with their weisse and doppelbock.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 03:15:37 PM »
Weihenstephaner is fave if fresh, just remember to decipher the bottle date. If I remember correctly a bottle dated today would be 1146.

Paulaner is much easier to find fresh I've found but beware they use a 12-month best-by dating. So that 9/16 out there now isn't that fresh.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2016, 03:58:21 PM »
Heater Allen makes an incredible Helles, but it isn't widely distributed.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2016, 05:33:12 PM »
Weihenstephaner is fave if fresh, just remember to decipher the bottle date. If I remember correctly a bottle dated today would be 1146.

Paulaner is much easier to find fresh I've found but beware they use a 12-month best-by dating. So that 9/16 out there now isn't that fresh.
How do you decipher that 1146 means it was bottled today?

RPIScotty

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 05:47:03 PM »

1xxx - either 1 or 11 depending on week.
x14x - 14th week of the year
xxx6 - 2016

So 14th week would be mid April so the 1 would be an 11.

April 11, 2016. I think.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2016, 07:11:42 PM »

1xxx - either 1 or 11 depending on week.
x14x - 14th week of the year
xxx6 - 2016

So 14th week would be mid April so the 1 would be an 11.

April 11, 2016. I think.
Sort of confusing... I have a bottle of Weihenstephaner hefe in my DBF at home, maybe I'll see what the code is on there tonight, if I remember to look.

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2016, 07:54:14 PM »
I just had Southern Tier's Helles offering a few weeks ago. Tasted it alongside mine and a Paulaner. I found it to be a little more hop-forward than the typical German Helles but it had no major flaws. (I have no idea how widely distributed ST is, but it's all over New York State.)   Otherwise I prefer Weihenstephan and Paulaner over Hacker, for sure.