Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lautering issue  (Read 1837 times)

Offline scottcd

• 1st Kit
Lautering issue
« on: March 29, 2016, 07:45:18 am »
So my last couple Brew days I've been having a problem when lautering. I'm using a 10 gallon picnic cooler mash tun into an 8 gal boil kettle.

After my mash is complete I recirculate the wort into a two quart container and I have no problem getting clear wort. I attach my tubing to the ball valve and when I start to lauter I'm seeing grains coming through the tubing. But if I take the tubing off and drain this way I get no grains. What about the tubing could be causing the grains to come through? This past Brew day i gave up and just drained without tubing risking hot side aeration.

Anyone have any ideas?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Lautering issue
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 08:28:43 am »
A few different ideas:

The hose makes the flowrate increase.  Presumably the higher flowrate pulls in more debris.  Perhaps you should vorlauf with the hose on.

I had a similar problem in that no matter how much I vorlaufed I could not stop the occasional chunk of husk from getting into the boil pot.  It turned out I had a "leak" in the lauter manifold which allowed the chunks through.  The leak was bigger than the slots in the manifold.  Once I fixed the leak, the problem went away.

A few husks and even a lot of husks is often no big deal.  There is a recent xbeeriment thread about this.

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 12:16:54 pm »
Slip a nylon mesh hop bag over the end of your tube to catch those bits of husk.
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 12:42:32 pm »
I assume that hose is hanging down from the outlet? If so, the hose is placing an extra bit of suction on the internal piping since the end of the hose is at a lower elevation than the plain outlet. That extra suction is probably getting the wort to flow faster and draw grain through the screen.

By the way, this is the reason that old time mash tuns had gooseneck taps on the outlets. It helps reduce the head difference and avoids placing too much stress on the grain bed due to higher than appropriate flow rates.  If you raise you tube outlet elevation, you will achieve the same result.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 07:59:56 pm »
You might try vorlaufing with the hose attached the entire time.  That way your grain bed is getting set at the flow rate at which you will be filling your kettle.  Its the change in flow rate that is likely disrupting the grain bed and sending some out of the MLT.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 08:06:05 pm »
You might try vorlaufing with the hose attached the entire time.  That way your grain bed is getting set at the flow rate at which you will be filling your kettle.  Its the change in flow rate that is likely disrupting the grain bed and sending some out of the MLT.
This and maybe run off a bit slower at first and then let'r rip

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 08:11:53 pm »
This and maybe run off a bit slower at first and then let'r rip

Agreed. Same thing I do.
Jon H.