Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer hoist for bottling  (Read 3328 times)

Offline BanjoJim

• 1st Kit
Beer hoist for bottling
« on: March 28, 2016, 02:10:19 pm »
I am no longer comfortable climbing up on the kitchen counter with 5 gallons of beer to set on a couple milk crates for bottling. So I built a hoist that lifts the bucket from the floor to 24" above the counter top. The hoist then slides back to the cupboards leaving plenty of room. By using 3 pulleys I get a mechanical advantage of 3: 15 lbs of force lifts 45 lbs of beer. The rig folds flat for storage.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Beer hoist for bottling
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 02:50:44 pm »
I like the cut of your jibe!!

But I also have to ask why you have to bottle this way. Isn't counter-height sufficient to bottle?

Must be something I'm missing...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline BanjoJim

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 02:57:40 pm »
When I was younger and more limber I just put the bottling bucket on the counter and bottled kneeling on the floor. Now it is much more comfortable to stand and bottle on the counter. Also I drilled a hole in the bottom of my bucket and use a cut down bung. That way more of the beer ends of in the bottles that when I used a bung on the side.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 03:06:16 pm »
When I was younger and more limber I just put the bottling bucket on the counter and bottled kneeling on the floor. Now it is much more comfortable to stand and bottle on the counter. Also I drilled a hole in the bottom of my bucket and use a cut down bung. That way more of the beer ends of in the bottles that when I used a bung on the side.

Wondered if it was something like that. I may steal your hoist idea with some modifications for my mashtun. ;)

Welcome to the forum!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 08:11:06 pm »
Brilliant!  Some thoughtful engineering went into that.  '

Suggestion:  Your local hardware store or boat store will have cleats for tying off ropes.  One of those will make belaying the rope when you've hoisted the bucket a simple matter.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.