Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Master is too weak of a word  (Read 6344 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Master is too weak of a word
« on: March 29, 2016, 03:41:04 am »
Holy smokes. So I thought I'd try to start studying for the BJCP written in hopes that sometime next year I might retest the tasting portion,  and if I do well maybe take the written.  I think I got some sticker shock when I realized that to score at the master level, among a multitude of other knowledge you must have, you also have to know OG, FG, IBU, SRM, hop aroma, malt aroma, fermentation aroma, appearance, hop malt and fermentation flavor, mouthfeel, historical significance, a classic example, and differences and similarities of 80 different beer styles.

I... aye yai yai... I'm going to try. But I'm not sure I've got the brain pan for this.

Kudos to Master judges! My hat is off to you!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Master is too weak of a word
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 06:02:53 am »
You only need to know the stats for the recipe questions, for the other styles it is not required.

Master is typically the top percent and a half. It's a difficult level to achieve. National isn't super easy, to get there is essentially top 10 percent.

FWIW - I'm still National. ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 07:03:31 am »
And then if/when you actually do achieve the Master level score, you're the lowly Master judge amongst a plethora of Grand Master xxx's.  :o  And you basically start all over again (if you want to rank up again, that is).

I hear that getting your first GM is the hardest/longest. Kinda like when you start out investing/saving. The first big milestone is the hardest/longest to get to!  ;D
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 08:00:36 am »
I am afraid I will never make GM.  I just cannot spare the time to grade exams.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 08:04:32 am »
The Masters don't all necessarily know any of the 2015 crap.  The ones who became Master level back like 15 years ago only had to learn like 50 styles.  No big whoop compared to the plethora of 2015.  There's no requirement to re-certify every X years, not that I'm aware of... at least not yet.  Might come later.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 08:06:13 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 08:51:00 am »
A few comments from someone studying for the written (took it once to just get an idea despite knowing I was woefully underprepped):

1) As far as the styles go, practice writing them out in the format expected on the test.  That will help you learn them for _both_ exams and should improve your general knowledge of the styles.  You really only need to know the numerical stats for the recipe question currently.  The style comparisons, you just need to know AAFMO, 1 commercial example, and how they're similar/different.
2) If you don't write by hand much, start practicing.  You're going to need to be able to get all the information onto the page in an organized manner.  If you can't get it out fast enough, it doesn't matter how much you know.  Write up your own answers to the questions, and refine them in advance.  All the writing will help you drill it into your own head so you can relay it onto the page with much less pressure.  My answers got progressively worse as my exam went on because I really wasn't prepared for the writing part.  By the time I got to the last ingredient question (water), I was completely glossing over lots of details because I suck at writing (never do it in daily course of activities) and time was running short.
3) According to many advanced judges I've talked to, the path to National is to teach the Tasting Exam class, and the path to Master is to grade exams.  Seems legit.  ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 09:09:35 am »
You only need to know the stats for the recipe questions, for the other styles it is not required.

Master is typically the top percent and a half. It's a difficult level to achieve. National isn't super easy, to get there is essentially top 10 percent.

FWIW - I'm still National. ;)

Yep, so am I after maybe 14 years.  When I took the test originally I scored 2 points below Master.  That's good enough for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 09:10:39 am »

Same with me.  I spent a couple years as an exam grader, but finally quit because it took me so long.  I felt it wasn't fair to the test takers.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 09:50:53 am »

3) According to many advanced judges I've talked to, the path to National is to teach the Tasting Exam class, and the path to Master is to grade exams.  Seems legit.

Can confirm on the grading exams bit. For those who are exceptional test tasters (and that's admittedly a huge caveat), a National score should only require study and diligence.
Amanda Burkemper

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 09:52:51 am »
I'm "trying" if you use that word in the most vague sense. Sure, I'll admin and proctor exams, but grading is one of my least favorite things to do. So it'll probably be mid-2018 before I've graded enough exams to hit GM.
Amanda Burkemper

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 10:04:49 am »
Can confirm on the grading exams bit. For those who are exceptional test tasters (and that's admittedly a huge caveat), a National score should only require study and diligence.

I think their point was that prepping to teach the class gives you a good enough grasp of the styles and scoresheets to get there (IOW, that's the study and diligence they recommend).

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 10:05:53 am »

I think their point was that prepping to teach the class gives you a good enough grasp of the styles and scoresheets to get there (IOW, that's the study and diligence they recommend).
Absolutely
Amanda Burkemper

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 01:16:18 pm »
To be honest I don't even have interest in becoming a judge at all.  It just doesn't appeal to me for some reason.  That being said I have a pretty busy life these days and the idea of studying for anything during my down time does not sound fun.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 02:07:25 pm »
To be honest I don't even have interest in becoming a judge at all.  It just doesn't appeal to me for some reason.  That being said I have a pretty busy life these days and the idea of studying for anything during my down time does not sound fun.

Pretty much.
Frank

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 02:28:48 pm »
It ain't that hard to get a GM ranking, just grade exams and when opportunities come to step up to the plate, step up to the plate.

More worthless info:
I have enough GMSR points, have graded enough exams, and have enough non-judging points for GMIII
I have enough judging points for GMI and will probably have enough for GMII before I get my written exam up
Neither of those get me off that 89 average taste/written ;)

It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!