Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing Salt/Water Related Question  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Mike-Ale

• Cellarman
Brewing Salt/Water Related Question
« on: April 13, 2016, 07:06:17 am »
Can anyone tell me which type of solid form CaCl2 is typically sold by homebrew stores?  I purchased LD Carlson.   I am assuming it is dihydrate but want to make sure I am inputting the correct one.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Brewing Salt/Water Related Question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 10:45:29 am »
I really cannot answer your question, but after a quick check, Martin's Brun'Water suggests choosing anhydrous unless you specifically know that it is dihdrate to avoid overdosing your water
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 11:14:50 am »
I really cannot answer your question, but after a quick check, Martin's Brun'Water suggests choosing anhydrous unless you specifically know that it is dihdrate to avoid overdosing your water
+1 - he mentions that the uncertainty is why he recommends making a CaCl solution. Haven't bothered with this yet. No reason beyond my process is pretty autopilot and I don't want to change right now.

Offline Mike-Ale

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 11:31:57 am »
Thanks for the help guys.  I just got the "donation version" of Bru'n Water and in it is says that dihydrate is the most common type and when I referred back to my old version of BW the numbers matched when plugged in as dihydrate. I am going to try to call LD Carlson for clarification and I will post my findings

Offline Mike-Ale

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 11:40:31 am »
Just spoke to customer service at LD and it is anhydrous. I probably read the hovering cursor wrong. Thanks again!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 01:07:05 pm »
+1 - he mentions that the uncertainty is why he recommends making a CaCl solution. Haven't bothered with this yet. No reason beyond my process is pretty autopilot and I don't want to change right now.
This is only if you want to be absolutely EXACT. I'm okay with being a few ppm's off.
Jesse

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 08:39:31 pm »
And of course I had to question how much moisture is absorbed over time to alter the calculation...but let's not bring that up again....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"