Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Master is too weak of a word  (Read 6393 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Master is too weak of a word
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 03:01:16 pm »
A few comments from someone studying for the written (took it once to just get an idea despite knowing I was woefully underprepped):

1) As far as the styles go, practice writing them out in the format expected on the test.  That will help you learn them for _both_ exams and should improve your general knowledge of the styles.  You really only need to know the numerical stats for the recipe question currently.  The style comparisons, you just need to know AAFMO, 1 commercial example, and how they're similar/different.
2) If you don't write by hand much, start practicing.  You're going to need to be able to get all the information onto the page in an organized manner.  If you can't get it out fast enough, it doesn't matter how much you know.  Write up your own answers to the questions, and refine them in advance.  All the writing will help you drill it into your own head so you can relay it onto the page with much less pressure.  My answers got progressively worse as my exam went on because I really wasn't prepared for the writing part.  By the time I got to the last ingredient question (water), I was completely glossing over lots of details because I suck at writing (never do it in daily course of activities) and time was running short.
3) According to many advanced judges I've talked to, the path to National is to teach the Tasting Exam class, and the path to Master is to grade exams.  Seems legit.  ;)
I did a practice run last night for kicks using APA. It took me 15 minutes to write, in narrative style, everything I knew about APA. Then I looked it over and realized I forgot stats and comparison.

So stats only on the recipe question? Just those 12 styles? Is that because you are describing the stats in narrative form in the style questions?

Does anyone know the percentage (odds) of getting a 95%? At my age I have to rely on smarts... I'm figuring I'll be lucky to get an 80% on the tasting retake. That means I need a 95 on the written.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 03:05:05 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 03:12:31 pm »
I totally agree that the way to make National is to teach the exam class, and the way to make Master is to grade exams (and keep trying).  That was exactly how I did it.

I made my 90/90 at the end of 2010.  We still had the legacy exam, but it was brutal, and it took me a several tries to get there.  I am very thankful I don't have to take it any more.

It's not impossible, though, so hang in there.  You can do it if you go in with a plan.

And Mike, I am in awe at your commitment.  Thank you for all you have done for the BJCP over the years.  I know you'll get that point.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 03:17:51 pm »
I did a practice run last night for kicks using APA. It took me 15 minutes to write, in narrative style, everything I knew about APA. Then I looked it over and realized I forgot stats and comparison.

So stats only on the recipe question? Just those 12 styles? Is that because you are describing the stats in narrative form in the style questions?

Does anyone know the percentage (odds) of getting a 95%? At my age I have to rely on smarts... I'm figuring I'll be lucky to get an 80% on the tasting retake. That means I need a 95 on the written.

All possible questions/styles are listed in the exam study guide. Keep in mind that you'll have to write out AAFM for 3 styles (not just one) and compare them for the two style-related questions you'll get. All in about 17-18 minutes per question. You can list stats for the style questions if you want, but form grading, I've found that people often get them wrong. The style question doesn't specifically ask you to list stats, it asks you to describe aroma, appearance, flavor and mouthfeel. The recipe question on the other hand, specifically asks you to provide stats. The study guide tells you exactly how the questions are graded and what % each part of the question is worth. Pay attention to that. People often short change or miss parts of the question that are worth significant points.

The odds of a 95+ are very, very low. The majority of master exams that reach the 90s, barely reach the 90s. From what I've seen, most of the exam scores in the mid or higher 90s were legacy exams from much earlier points in time.

Feel free to PM or email me if you want to talk more about the exam.
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
Grand Master Judge + Mead Judge
BJCP Communications Director
AHA Governing Committee

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2016, 03:30:48 pm »
The highest written exam score ever was a 99 several years ago. Most who make it with their written are 93 or less with the majority being closer to 90.

At one time it was pretty rare to crest above 90 for the taste exam, but I know at least 5 National judges in NC who have a taste score of 90 or above.

Check out these links for some tips which might come in handy:
https://mashbang.wordpress.com/2014/01/17/bjcp-written-proficiency-exam-strategy/
https://mashbang.wordpress.com/2014/11/10/bjcp-written-exam-strategy-part-deux/

On my last attempt with the 2008 Guidelines I am confident my recipe got full marks. It took me 20 minutes of solid writing to get that on the page.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 03:40:26 pm by MDixon »
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 03:39:01 pm »
Well I'm certain my scoring ability has improved since my tasting test. And having the styles locked down will help that test as well. So maybe 91/91 will be my target. Honesty, if I came in at 81/81 I'd be happy. The biggest reason I'm doing this is so I can be more useful.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2016, 03:55:15 pm »
To be honest I don't even have interest in becoming a judge at all.  It just doesn't appeal to me for some reason.  That being said I have a pretty busy life these days and the idea of studying for anything during my down time does not sound fun.
If you compete, someday it will dawn on you that someone is spending time and money to go around their area judging. That is why I started judging, to put something back into it.

My current status is 85 tasting, 73 written. I am studying for a written on May 7. I need to crank up the study time and write. I have only written a little. Realistic goal is National.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jmitchell3

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2016, 04:30:31 pm »
Haha, sounds like what my buddy Matt said is true: "Becoming a BJCP judge is like a pizza eating competition where the prize for winning is more pizza."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2016, 04:33:06 pm »
Looking it all over again, I think instead of laboriously trying to rote memorize 80 styles, I will start with the 12 recipe styles. 12 months ought to be plenty of time to really dig into each one, including writing score sheets on each with a classic example, researching, writing, and brewing my own recipes.

Meanwhile I'll chunk away at the others, maybe grouping them as they compare to the big 12 so it makes sense in my head.

The other side project will be nailing down my knowledge of techniques, ingredients, and troubleshooting.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2016, 04:43:28 pm »
I agree with Dennis, you don't need to add the stats for the comparison questions. They only tend to cost points rather than add them. On the recipe question, you only need the stats so you can show that your recipe lands in them.
(IBUs, OG, FG, and SRM.)

Writing the style comparisons in prose takes too long, IMO, and its harder for the graders to see organization in a paragraph.  You are better off using grids for the AAFM parts but then doing the comparison/contrast in prose.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2016, 05:27:40 pm »
I agree with Dennis, you don't need to add the stats for the comparison questions. They only tend to cost points rather than add them. On the recipe question, you only need the stats so you can show that your recipe lands in them.
(IBUs, OG, FG, and SRM.)

Writing the style comparisons in prose takes too long, IMO, and its harder for the graders to see organization in a paragraph.  You are better off using grids for the AAFM parts but then doing the comparison/contrast in prose.
Copy that, Steve. Grids it is

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2016, 06:16:49 pm »
I haven't even looked into the National requirements let alone concerning my self with Master level - that is a huge commitmentI am sure (and I don't know half of the acronyms you guys are using in the discussion above!

I took the tasting exam last summer and only got an 80, so even National level will require a lot for me.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2016, 06:55:36 pm »
I haven't even looked into the National requirements let alone concerning my self with Master level - that is a huge commitmentI am sure (and I don't know half of the acronyms you guys are using in the discussion above!

I took the tasting exam last summer and only got an 80, so even National level will require a lot for me.
You qualified for the written. You need an 80 or higher on the written, and 20 experience points, and then you are National.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2016, 09:11:27 am »
Looking it all over again, I think instead of laboriously trying to rote memorize 80 styles, I will start with the 12 recipe styles. 12 months ought to be plenty of time to really dig into each one, including writing score sheets on each with a classic example, researching, writing, and brewing my own recipes.

Meanwhile I'll chunk away at the others, maybe grouping them as they compare to the big 12 so it makes sense in my head.

The other side project will be nailing down my knowledge of techniques, ingredients, and troubleshooting.

Seems like a wise approach, I dove in to the BJCP a couple years ago, took the tasting and got an 83 and started busting my but to get experience points to qualify to sit for the written.  My timing really sucked as the 2015 Guidelines transition has really taken the wind out of my sails regarding any meaningful preparation for the written.  Feeling in a bit of limbo as to how best to refocus and questioning if its worth the effort. I think I'm done "busting my ass" trying to qualify to achieve some nebulous BJCP rank. At Certified, I feel confident enough to judge with anyone (not saying I'm as skilled) and not feel intimidated by their experience but rather excited by the opportunity. Think I'll lean on actually judging, learning from other judges and BREWING to fortify my judging experience for the time being.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2016, 10:04:56 am »

For the styles, you don't need stats.  You're going to want to shoot for more like 5 minutes per style (since you're comparing 3).  Download the revised study guide if you haven't already.  Get the BJCP for Dummies for _strategies_ only.  It shows examples of the grid layout that works best.  If you can't find the revised one (think it was from 2013), let me know and I'll email it to you.

Sort of.  The stats are more to help with recipe formulation.  The comparison question is for things you can sense while judging, so AAFM and one commercial example is all that really matters from the guidelines.  You're better off sticking to that rather than putting potentially wrong stats in if they're not required.

It's easier to get a higher score on the tasting than the written, honestly.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2016, 10:18:13 am »

Seems like a wise approach, I dove in to the BJCP a couple years ago, took the tasting and got an 83 and started busting my but to get experience points to qualify to sit for the written.  My timing really sucked as the 2015 Guidelines transition has really taken the wind out of my sails regarding any meaningful preparation for the written.  Feeling in a bit of limbo as to how best to refocus and questioning if its worth the effort. I think I'm done "busting my ass" trying to qualify to achieve some nebulous BJCP rank. At Certified, I feel confident enough to judge with anyone (not saying I'm as skilled) and not feel intimidated by their experience but rather excited by the opportunity. Think I'll lean on actually judging, learning from other judges and BREWING to fortify my judging experience for the time being.

Look at the BJCP study guide. You need to know 12 recipes. The new styles will need to be known for the comparison question, but there are styles not on the portential list, so don't spend time on those. Look at the list of questions concentrate on those too.

Amanda pointed out that they tell you what they will ask, concentrate on those questions.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild