Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Laptop/Desktop  (Read 2549 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Laptop/Desktop
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 03:34:03 pm »
FWIW - I was backed up, I would love to get the data off the old hard drive and then pass the whole thing along to a charitable organization.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 04:34:45 pm »
Yeah, go with laptop.  Really no reason not to any more.

Re: rendering large audio files....I run Pro Tools 12.4 on my laptop to do all the production for the podcast.

I run Ableton and really only run into problems processing multiple VST and effects in real time. After the fifth or sixth VST draped in effects it starts to hiccup.

You're undoubtedly also considerably more efficient as an audio engineer than I.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 05:27:20 pm »
After 8 years of having a laptop I actually went desktop the last time around. I opted to build my own, though I know that's not for everyone.

I just couldn't do another laptop due to the cost/computational power side of the equation. With school and some of the software that it entails a potent desktop just seemed the smarter choice.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 09:46:51 am »
How long would you suggest to freeze the drive in a freezer bag, and then I'm guessing thaw for a few hours?

~8 hours is good enough.  We have left them overnight, though, on the rare occasions we go that route, so 12-14 hours won't hurt it either.  Don't worry about thawing.