Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: White Labs packaging  (Read 2487 times)

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
White Labs packaging
« on: March 29, 2016, 07:46:27 am »
Anyone else miss the old tubes of yeast.  I find these new pouches difficult to work with.  Cast your vote.

RPIScotty

Re: White Labs packaging
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 11:25:39 am »
I use Wyeast exclusively so if they are similar I would love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 11:37:18 am »
I like the higher sanitary level, but I admit there are some issues that I haven't worked out with the new packaging yet:

1). harder to de-gas than the vials - I've lost some yeast when I cut into the pack. was much easier to crack the top a few times to release.
2). harder to get all the yeast out - with a vial, I used to pour about half the vial, recap, shake up to get all the yeast clinging to the walls of the vial, or at worst pour back some wort to the vial to help.  hard to do with the pouches.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 11:38:10 am »
I too use Wyeast pretty exclusively, although I do have a couple free coupons from some comps for the WL pitchable tubes.  I will try those out this summer most likely.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 12:00:31 pm »
I use Wyeast exclusively so if they are similar I would love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smack packs have way more liquid in them making it easy to get all the yeast out. The new pure pitch are neat, but I do find that I need to squeegee them between two fingers to get the last bits. I also don't like that I need a pair of scissors. Smack packs tear easily at the notches and the tubes were easy enough to open.

Offline FaradayUncaged

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 12:35:17 pm »
So all new yeast from them are no longer distributed in a vial?  When did that start?

I too have used Wyeast exclusively and like the packs.  As a creature of habit, this might make me at least try WL in the future.

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 02:04:55 pm »
I actually like the variety of Wyeast and have been using it for a very long time.  Easy to smack and open.  My LHBS only stocks White Labs.  Their packaging is everything described above.  Squeezing, cutting, degassing.  Had a bit of a mess today.  Cut along the dotted line, against my better judgement, and sure enough, the liquid was above the line causing me to lose some.  The tubes were lightyears ahead of these small pouches.  I'm sure it had something to do with the bottom line.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 02:10:23 pm »
I'm sure it had something to do with the bottom line.

I don't think so really.  the new packs are more sanitary since the yeast is propagated inside the packaging, rather than propagated and inserted into packaging - one less step to worry about.

I assume, though can't say for certain, that the packaging is also a bit 'greener' which has its benefits.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 02:21:38 pm »

I don't think so really.  the new packs are more sanitary since the yeast is propagated inside the packaging, rather than propagated and inserted into packaging - one less step to worry about.

I assume, though can't say for certain, that the packaging is also a bit 'greener' which has its benefits.
D - All of the above

Offline mbarnaby

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 05:57:14 pm »
So I got a vial of yeast from white recently, it sort of caught me off guard because I thought they had switched to the pouch.  it was the Nordic yeast blend that they produced with their "vault" program.  not sure if that makes a difference. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 07:32:32 pm »

They work on this for a long time, applied for patent(s), set up production lines for pro and Homebrew sizes. How that helps the bottom line in the short term is beyond me. I think they want the purest package of yeast to attract more sales, especially on the pro brewery side. That will grow the business and the bottom line.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mharding73

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 07:57:24 pm »
I prefer over the bottle.  I just shake real good then cut and immediately pour.  No issues with left over yeast in the package. 

Offline stevecrawshaw

• Cellarman
    • My Recipes
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 04:27:28 am »
scissors are essential as opening with a knife made my hands yeasty. I now use autoclaved surgical scissors.
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 06:25:08 am »
So I got a vial of yeast from white recently, it sort of caught me off guard because I thought they had switched to the pouch.  it was the Nordic yeast blend that they produced with their "vault" program.  not sure if that makes a difference.

What was the date on the vial?

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 11:23:48 am »
i mix wort into mine after squeezing..works great that way.

i would like a to see increase pouch size to allow easier mixing...other than that no issues.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: