Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Biscuit Flavor  (Read 4540 times)

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Biscuit Flavor
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 04:45:13 pm »
I've been using MO in my ESB trying to create something like Old Speckled Hen using S-04 and don't really get biscuit. Before trying for OSH my ESB tasted like unsweetened tea.

Soon I'll be searching for a liquid British yeast that's versatile for an ESB, IPA, old ale, and barleywine. Something I'd use often enough to keep it going a while. S-04 just hasn't made a good ESB for me it seems. I'll be brewing one more time trying for OSH on Monday with it though.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 06:36:14 pm »
I've found 1968 works well in strong ales. Just pitch a big starter and aerate well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 06:54:08 pm »
I brewed a 95% Crisp MO and 5% Simpson’s Heritage (Crystal MO) Pale Ale with Kent Goldings last weekend looking for the same flavors I think you are.  I'll keg this and cold crash/condition it next weekend for a couple weeks then carb and tap it.  I am really looking forward to this one.

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2016, 12:33:20 am »
@BrewBama: Really like to know how it turns out.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2016, 11:46:40 am »

I had to rush this to the glass due to an unexpected run on the pipeline so I did not get to keep it as cold as long as I'd like before bringing it to serving/carbing temp.  It is a malty beer with a nice hoppy finish.  Very refreshing though a bit cloudy because of the rush.  ...but I've read that's not unusual for a MO beer.  I like it!

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 04:38:55 pm »

I had to rush this to the glass due to an unexpected run on the pipeline so I did not get to keep it as cold as long as I'd like before bringing it to serving/carbing temp.  It is a malty beer with a nice hoppy finish.  Very refreshing though a bit cloudy because of the rush.  ...but I've read that's not unusual for a MO beer.  I like it!

Biscuity???
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'