Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing a Lager for the first time  (Read 4523 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Brewing a Lager for the first time
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 08:48:25 am »
What can you tell us about your water?  Pale lagers are less forgiving about water problems.

I live in Boston, this report is about a year old, but pretty in line where things are on a consistent basis.

http://i.imgur.com/mzwiPQq.png
Nothing to add about making lagers, I'm on my first right now, just saying Hi, I live near the Quabbin Reservoir, where you get your water.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline zsmith87

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 06:57:08 pm »
What can you tell us about your water?  Pale lagers are less forgiving about water problems.

I live in Boston, this report is about a year old, but pretty in line where things are on a consistent basis.

http://i.imgur.com/mzwiPQq.png
Nothing to add about making lagers, I'm on my first right now, just saying Hi, I live near the Quabbin Reservoir, where you get your water.

Hey man! Hope your lagering is going smooth.

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 12:18:52 pm »
That's nice water, similar to mine.  You'll need to acid to cut the alkalinity for yellow beers, and for Czech pils dilute with distilled.
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline M-O-O-N That spells beer!

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 08:13:44 am »
What's the best way to get the wort to 48-50F, set it in the fermentation chamber until you hit that range and then pitch? I never lagered either but I want to start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Na zdrowie!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 08:27:23 am »
What's the best way to get the wort to 48-50F, set it in the fermentation chamber until you hit that range and then pitch?

Yeah, if you can't cool to 48ish, that's the next best option. Works fine.

EDIT -  After it's cooled, be sure to oxygenate thoroughly before pitching.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 08:50:40 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2016, 08:29:51 am »
What's the best way to get the wort to 48-50F, set it in the fermentation chamber until you hit that range and then pitch? I never lagered either but I want to start.

I do this with ales and lagers. Cool down as much as practical with whatever cooling equipment you have then get to the desired temp by putting it in a chamber, cellar, or wherever you ferment and pitch when the wort is desired temp. I usually pitch the morning after I brew.

Offline M-O-O-N That spells beer!

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2016, 11:15:46 am »

I do this with ales and lagers. Cool down as much as practical with whatever cooling equipment you have then get to the desired temp by putting it in a chamber, cellar, or wherever you ferment and pitch when the wort is desired temp. I usually pitch the morning after I brew.
That a great idea! Do you put a solid stopper on the fermenter or an airlock? I figure that there isn't any activity, since no yeast was pitched.
, yet.

Na zdrowie!

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2016, 11:48:49 am »
Sanitized foil over the top is just fine.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2016, 01:43:42 pm »
What's the best way to get the wort to 48-50F, set it in the fermentation chamber until you hit that range and then pitch?

Yeah, if you can't cool to 48ish, that's the next best option. Works fine.

EDIT -  After it's cooled, be sure to oxygenate thoroughly before pitching.
Yep, that's what I do, almost.  I put both the fermenter and the starter in the chamber.  When the wort gets to 48-50, I dump in the starter and oxygenate which also mixes in the starter.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2016, 07:05:25 am »

I've had great success with whirlpooling the wort around the immersion chiller (aka the Jamil method). It does require a pump for max impact, but I can chill 6G of boiling wort to 70-80F in 10 mins or less (depending on my water temp).

Then for lagers I switch from tap water on the input to recirculating ice water through a bucket with a sump pump in it. That will get me down to 45 in another 15 mins or so.

I realize I could dump it in the chamber and wait, but I don't sleep well when my wort has no yeast in it

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2016, 08:05:04 am »

That a great idea! Do you put a solid stopper on the fermenter or an airlock? I figure that there isn't any activity, since no yeast was pitched.
, yet.

I use an airlock since I would need to switch to that when I pitch anyway. And yes do remember to aerate in the morning. I froth it up with a mix stir on a cordless drill.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2016, 08:08:06 am »

I've had great success with whirlpooling the wort around the immersion chiller (aka the Jamil method). It does require a pump for max impact, but I can chill 6G of boiling wort to 70-80F in 10 mins or less (depending on my water temp).

Then for lagers I switch from tap water on the input to recirculating ice water through a bucket with a sump pump in it. That will get me down to 45 in another 15 mins or so.

I realize I could dump it in the chamber and wait, but I don't sleep well when my wort has no yeast in it
I don't lose any sleep at all. I know my sanitation is good and that I'm going to be pitching a big healthy starter.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2016, 09:53:11 am »
I don't lose any sleep at all. I know my sanitation is good and that I'm going to be pitching a big healthy starter.

Yeah, it's just my OCD tendencies. I've done plenty of batches via slow chill and saved them for months so I'm not concerned about contamination.

To me it just feels like driving 475 miles of a 500 mile trip and then deciding to stop for the night. I'm too close to the finish line to quit.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2016, 11:35:24 am »

To me it just feels like driving 475 miles of a 500 mile trip and then deciding to stop for the night. I'm too close to the finish line to quit.

Good analogy, and well said.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2016, 02:25:39 pm »

Good analogy, and well said.
Yes that is a good analogy and a good example of personality types. I'm the one who would stop at the hotel at the 475 mark and have a beer and start fresh in the morning.
I'm also the one whose starter wouldn't be ready on brew day so I would need the extra 12 hours.