Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Priming in keg as a substitute for traditional diacetyl rest  (Read 1396 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Priming in keg as a substitute for traditional diacetyl rest
« on: April 02, 2016, 10:26:14 am »
Any thoughts on priming in a keg as a substitute for a diacetyl rest for lagers?  I was out of town when a batch would typically been given a d-rest.  It's been a month in the primary and I was thinking to prime in the lag, anyway.  The thought occurred to me that it might reduce diacetyl, too....just a random thought, not empirically backed by any means.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Priming in keg as a substitute for traditional diacetyl rest
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 10:39:15 am »
Do you taste diacetyl?  If not, don't worry about it.  As to priming in the keg being essentially the same as krausening to reduce diacetyl, a SWAG tells me no.  Not enough fermentation going on.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 11:01:50 am »
Agree, the yeast are barely working to creat the co2. They aren't going after the diacetyl.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 11:36:35 am »
D-rest is just accelerated by higher temps. If you left it there longer than you usually do and you're not smelling or tasting diacetyl from a warm sample the you're done :-)

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 11:53:22 am »
I'll be racking shortly and will see if any diacetyl is in there...if so, I may krausen it with some spies from a current batch that I just brewed today.  I usually don't get diacetyl, but I did with the Budejovice Czech yeast I used for a Czech pale and then repitched in a Schwarz Bier.  It was drinkable, but to the diacetyl sensitive folks, it was just a bit too noticeable.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 12:17:19 pm »
Agreed with the above. I bet if you pitched cold (ie 48-50F) and let it stay on the primary yeast cake for 1 mos then there would be no diacetyl.  Just a hunch, but you shall see when you rack. Now, if you pitched warmer then you could have some diacetyl in there.

Either way, I agree with the above, that there is not enough yeast activity going on to reduce diacetyl in the keg though.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 12:27:42 pm »
I've gotten diacetyl in bottle-conditioned ales, so I'm leaning towards no on this one. Krausening involves pitching a robust culture at peak activity, rather than spoon feeding some dormant yeast.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 05:31:36 am »
Racked it and it was clean and crisp - no diacetyl, so no krausening - still went with priming in the keg for fun.