Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is it bad to lager in kegs?  (Read 6193 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Is it bad to lager in kegs?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 11:26:26 am »
An old friend who now no longer homebrews always lagered in kegs and did so with them lying horizontally. His lagers were tremendous and he took many BOS ribbons as a result. His thinking was the distance was less to the surface of the beer and so it lagered faster and cleaner. I have no idea if he was right or not, but I could never argue with his results!

Sounds like homebrewer BS.

Particles drop at a certain rate, so many cm/day. But a corny is not that tall so things end up falling out pretty fast compared to a big giant commercial conical. At a homebrew scale it is not much of an issue. I will try it someday just to say I have.

I have tried it. I used to lager by laying kegs horizontally on the compressor hump of my serving fridge, behind the serving kegs.  Made no difference whatsoever.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 11:30:45 am »
Doesn't the sediment get into the beer when stood vertical to serve?
My thoughts as well...
Jesse

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 11:36:30 am »
An old friend who now no longer homebrews always lagered in kegs and did so with them lying horizontally. His lagers were tremendous and he took many BOS ribbons as a result. His thinking was the distance was less to the surface of the beer and so it lagered faster and cleaner. I have no idea if he was right or not, but I could never argue with his results!

Sounds like homebrewer BS.

Particles drop at a certain rate, so many cm/day. But a corny is not that tall so things end up falling out pretty fast compared to a big giant commercial conical. At a homebrew scale it is not much of an issue. I will try it someday just to say I have.

I have tried it. I used to lager by laying kegs horizontally on the compressor hump of my serving fridge, behind the serving kegs.  Made no difference whatsoever.

Well, there you go!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline russell

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 05:29:14 pm »
So do you lager guys do a Diacetyl rest with your lagers, this seems to be a nice time to then bottle or keg the beer and then bring it down to lager temps in the bottles or kegs.
 If using a keg would you need bubbler because it will be the same as a secondary carboy?

(primary at 50 until it is almost fermented then bring to 67 F or so for a diacetyl rest. Then into Bottling bucket to bottle at room temp for 2 weeks / or keg and lower temps to lager temperatures.)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 05:59:00 pm »
So do you lager guys do a Diacetyl rest with your lagers, this seems to be a nice time to then bottle or keg the beer and then bring it down to lager temps in the bottles or kegs.
 If using a keg would you need bubbler because it will be the same as a secondary carboy?

(primary at 50 until it is almost fermented then bring to 67 F or so for a diacetyl rest. Then into Bottling bucket to bottle at room temp for 2 weeks / or keg and lower temps to lager temperatures.)

Though I do not have a lot of lager experience, I do a diacetyl rest in the fermenter, then keg, purge the headspace with CO2, cold lager at 34*F, fine, then carb.  I do not install an airlock in the keg while lagering because I've heard the transition from ferm temps to lager temps will suck the liquid into the keg.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 06:01:27 pm by BrewBama »

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 10:03:49 am »
I almost never need a d rest.  I decide on a beer by beer basis by tasting the gravity samples.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 07:46:51 pm »
I try to raise all my beers a few degrees at the tail end of fermentation, regardless of whether they are ales or lagers. I always do a d-check before starting the lagering process, though, and will give it more time before racking to keg and lagering if I detect any diacetyl.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2016, 01:33:08 pm »
if lagering in kegs is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

+1
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA