Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fruity aroma to a pale ale  (Read 3606 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Fruity aroma to a pale ale
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 05:29:03 am »
Your hydrometer should be able to read to the thousandths - so 1.015 would be between 1.020 and 1.010, for example.  Be sure to get a simple one from your local Homebrew shop or through an online supply shop.  It is important to get stable readings for a few consecutive days to know that your beer is "done".  One fellow here on the forum says "don't tell the beer when it's supposed to be done - let it tell you when it's done."  Sage advice, indeed.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline war2112

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2016, 06:10:40 pm »
Lots of folks have worse results on their first batch, trust me.  Enjoy your beer for what it is, your first try at making it yourself.  You don't expect to produce Michelin-star rated food the first time you try to cook something, so don't set those expectations for your first beers.

The fruity esters are typically caused by warm fermentation temps (temp gets up into the 70's or even higher).  Remember, fermentation generates heat, so the beer temp can get quite a bit warmer than ambient.

The esters normally don't dissipate after bottling.  Just start planning how you will control the temp for your next batch(es).

I am currently enjoying my first bottle of this beer. It has been 22 days since I pitched the yeast so I know it is a little young. But it has been in the bottles for 10 days.

It is carbonated nicely. It is also quite clear and I used no fining agents. I'm rather surprised at the clarity. The hop aroma and taste is good.There is a head retention issue for sure due to ferm temp getting close to 74 degrees but the ester taste is not real prevalent. Mouth feel is a little off, just a bit anesthetic is the best way I can describe it. Not real bad but it is there and that seems to be the biggest flaw to me.

I am being critical as possible and I have to say it is not bad at all and is actually better than I thought it would be. I am enjoying it. It is not exactly what it should be but it is pretty close. It tastes pretty good actually. I am overjoyed actually that I did not get an infection, real bad beer, etc. It is drinkable for sure. I am sure I am biased because I brewed it but it is better than the cheap swill I usually drink by a good margin.

Plus, I am getting a good buzz off of it. Hot damn! getting a buzz off my own beer. Ain't life grand?!

Offline war2112

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2016, 06:14:46 pm »
Lots of folks have worse results on their first batch, trust me.  Enjoy your beer for what it is, your first try at making it yourself.  You don't expect to produce Michelin-star rated food the first time you try to cook something, so don't set those expectations for your first beers.

The fruity esters are typically caused by warm fermentation temps (temp gets up into the 70's or even higher).  Remember, fermentation generates heat, so the beer temp can get quite a bit warmer than ambient.

The esters normally don't dissipate after bottling.  Just start planning how you will control the temp for your next batch(es).

I am currently enjoying my first bottle of this beer. It has been 22 days since I pitched the yeast so I know it is a little young. But it has been in the bottles for 10 days.

It is carbonated nicely. It is also quite clear and I used no fining agents. I'm rather surprised at the clarity. The hop aroma and taste is good.There is a head retention issue for sure due to ferm temp getting close to 74 degrees but the ester taste is not real prevalent. Mouth feel is a little off, just a bit anesthetic is the best way I can describe it. Not real bad but it is there and that seems to be the biggest flaw to me.

I am being critical as possible and I have to say it is not bad at all and is actually better than I thought it would be. I am enjoying it. It is not exactly what it should be but it is pretty close. It tastes pretty good actually. I am overjoyed actually that I did not get an infection, real bad beer, etc. It is drinkable for sure. I am sure I am biased because I brewed it but it is better than the cheap swill I usually drink by a good margin.

Plus, I am getting a good buzz off of it. Hot damn! getting a buzz off my own beer. Ain't life grand?!

On a side note, for just 6 bucks I picked up a perfect container to fill with cool water and set the fermenter in next time around. It is just a big plastic tun and there is room to drop in a couple of ice water bottles.

I am going to start my next batch soon!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2016, 06:34:54 pm »
On a side note, for just 6 bucks I picked up a perfect container to fill with cool water and set the fermenter in next time around. It is just a big plastic tun and there is room to drop in a couple of ice water bottles.

I am going to start my next batch soon!

It'll make a big difference !
Jon H.