Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pumps and pelllet hops  (Read 3075 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Pumps and pelllet hops
« on: March 24, 2016, 10:13:12 am »
Will loose pellet hops in the boil kettle clog a march/chugger pump when recirculating during chilling?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Pumps and pelllet hops
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 10:26:53 am »
Works fine with mine.  They go right through the pump.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 10:29:09 am »
Yep, totally fine.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 10:36:28 am »
Great.  After only 5 years of thinking about it, I may actually incorporate a pump into my system.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 11:55:30 am »
Great.  After only 5 years of thinking about it, I may actually incorporate a pump into my system.

Every time I use mine I wish I had gotten it sooner.  Main use is for recirculated chilling, but I also use it to xfer wort to the fermenter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 12:22:12 pm »

on RARE occasion, I've had a slug clog it when I first turn it on, but nothing that a quick backflush didn't solve.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 07:43:16 pm »

on RARE occasion, I've had a slug clog it when I first turn it on, but nothing that a quick backflush didn't solve.
How did you do a backflush?
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 07:47:22 pm »
A hose
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 05:05:30 am »
I just got a chugger and have used it 3 times.  The first time I put candied ginger in at 10 min and it clogged my pickup tube in my kettle solid so I never could get it going.  The second d time it did clog a little when I threw my whirlpool hops but I lifted the pump higher than the kettle (to backflush) and it worked fine.  Last weeked, I stopped the pump when I put the flame out additional  for about 20 sec to let the pellets break up and no problems at all.  Huge time saver during chilling!  I pumped to the fermenter as well so it saved me a 48 pound lift into my chamber.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 05:44:37 am »
This is why you whirlpool and settle. You shouldn't have a problem except on very rare occasions with excessive amounts of hops. My kettle has a diverter plate and I have never had a problem using that.

Offline Unconnected

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 09:24:28 am »
This is why you whirlpool and settle. You shouldn't have a problem except on very rare occasions with excessive amounts of hops. My kettle has a diverter plate and I have never had a problem using that.
Don't many whirlpool using their pumps?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

narvin

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 11:46:06 am »
I know I sound like a broken record, but... hop stopper!  Never had a problem, period.

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 10:35:39 pm »
My last two beers were double IPAs with a s***load of pellet hops and my pump performed just fine.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 01:02:53 am »
I'm thinking about buying a Blichmann Hop Blocker because my BK is a Blichmann G2.  Anyone use one?

I've used one of those stainless mesh tubes, and a spider with a nylon bag.  I'm just not sure I am getting the circulation and transfer of hop goodness that I would if I just dropped the hops in the kettle and let them swim free.

I've wanted to avoid this because I have a pump and a plate chiller, and on the occasion when my mind was... well Ok, I had been drinking - I dumped the hops straight in the wort and it took forever to flush the particles out of the plate chiller.  The bottom line is I just don't want an infection.

Thoughts?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton