Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Try something different - Advice  (Read 1943 times)

Offline DrDirt

• 1st Kit
  • DrDirt
Try something different - Advice
« on: March 26, 2016, 10:05:48 am »
I’m new to home brewing and bought the Number 8 All-Grain kit from Northern Brewer a while back. I’ve decided I don’t want to make it, but I still want to use the grains.  Anyone have suggestions on what I could do with this? I enjoy low hoppy beers. I was thinking of possibly switching out the yeast, maybe trying a different hop? Thoughts?

Link to the Number 8 grain bill: http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-TheNumber8.pdf

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Try something different - Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 10:32:05 am »
Some chocolate malt, English hops and yeast would make a nice brown ale.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline martinj

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 12:10:10 am »
Cut the crystal to 1 lb, the pilsner to 9.5, use an ounce of tradition and 1/2 oz hersbrucker at 60 minutes, a half ounce of hersbrucker at 30 or 45 minutes, and your choice of ale yeast, and you'd have a pretty nice, light to moderately hoppy (maybe 30-35 IBU) pale ale. Or, if you want to give a lager a try, the same grain bill would make a  pretty good pilsner with, say, WY2278. I would only use a half pound or so of crystal though, max, and I would probably only use 9 lbs of pilsner malt. OR, use kölsch yeast with the same grain bill and brew a kölsch.
Marty

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 12:27:09 pm »
If its a kit then the grains are likely already mixed together, I'd bet.

Like Steve Ruch said, I'd go Brown Ale or a little further and make it a Porter.

I'd add Chocolate malt (add a bit of Black Patent malt to make it a Porter).  Save the corn sugar and candi sugar syrup for a different batch (IIPA or a different Belgian?). I'd hop it with English hops (Target or Challenger for bittering, a bit of EKG at 10) to the tune of about 30 to 35 IBUs and use WLP007/Wyeast1098 or WLP002/Wyeast1968 or Nottingham
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 03:20:58 pm »
If its a kit then the grains are likely already mixed together, I'd bet.

Like Steve Ruch said, I'd go Brown Ale or a little further and make it a Porter.

I'd add Chocolate malt (add a bit of Black Patent malt to make it a Porter).  Save the corn sugar and candi sugar syrup for a different batch (IIPA or a different Belgian?). I'd hop it with English hops (Target or Challenger for bittering, a bit of EKG at 10) to the tune of about 30 to 35 IBUs and use WLP007/Wyeast1098 or WLP002/Wyeast1968 or Nottingham
Nottingham has always produced very drinkable ales.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 03:31:08 pm »

That would also work.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women