0 (0%)
25 < 30
0 (0%)
30 < 55
0 (0%)
>= 55
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: What size batch do you most often brew?  (Read 3729 times)

trentm

What size batch do you most often brew?
« on: April 01, 2016, 05:14:17 pm »
What size batch do you most often brew?

Most often I'll brew 5 gallon batches, however I do brew smaller 2 gallon test batches.

(Read each item as - at least X but less than Y.  - e.g. (5 < 6) At least 5 gallons but less then 6 gallons.)

RPIScotty

Re: What size batch do you most often brew?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 05:16:15 pm »
I brew between 0.625 and 1.2 gallon batches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 05:22:12 pm »
I've brewed every size from one gallon to ten, and five gallon batches are the easiest and most efficient. It is a lot of beer for me, because my tastes require me to have a variety of beers on tap, but I can entertain my friends when I need to get some beer drunk so I can brew. It works for me, and no one complains about the free beer.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 05:59:45 pm »
Started out with 5gal and now brew 10, my schedule doesn't allow me to brew often anymore

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

RPIScotty

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 06:17:06 pm »
My small batch sizes are perfect for me because in stark contrast to the way I drank from 16-25, I typically only put down 2-3 beers on the weekends. 5 gallons of beer would be a real chore for me to get rid of.

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 06:20:51 pm »
I have three 5 gallon fermentors and three 6.5, so I bounce between 4.75 and 5.5 typically.

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 06:29:05 pm »
I brew 5 gal batches

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 06:29:36 pm »
I do 2.5 gallon batches. Not because I want to but because I live in a small house, have precious little storage space and I'm the only one in the house who drinks beer. For me, the brewing process is every bit as enjoyable  as the drinking so brewing smaller batches more often suits me fine.  ;)
Corripe Cervisiam

RPIScotty

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 06:37:10 pm »
I do 2.5 gallon batches. Not because I want to but because I live in a small house, have precious little storage space and I'm the only one in the house who drinks beer. For me, the brewing process is every bit as enjoyable  as the drinking so brewing smaller batches more often suits me fine.  ;)

And we get to brew more!

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 06:53:53 pm »
I brew 3 gallons into the fermenter and 2.5 into the keg. I love this batch size. I am always sad when a keg kicks but it happens fast enough I get to brew at least once per month. I actually run fairly often because I give away beer to friends.  I kind of like running out though.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 07:47:54 pm »
I brew 3 gallons into the fermenter and 2.5 into the keg. I love this batch size. I am always sad when a keg kicks but it happens fast enough I get to brew at least once per month. I actually run fairly often because I give away beer to friends.  I kind of like running out though.
Same here.

I am the only one who drinks in my house, and it is usually only 4 or 5 beverages a week. If I have time to relax after the family and house is taken care of, then I'll settle down with a beer/mead/whiskey/sake/etc. The smaller batch size let's me brew 1-2 times a month without drowning in extra beer I can't drink. Plus, I like to experiment, so it doesn't bother me to dump a couple of gallons of beer that I don't want to drink.

Another advantage is that I can brew all-grain batches on the kitchen stove at this smaller size. No need to brew outside for me. I have heat in the winter, AC in the summer, and no need for pants ;)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 08:09:56 pm »
Still brewing 10 gallon batches- I just give away a lot of beer.  I have never made a batch at the one gallon size, but I give credit to you guys.  At some point I hope to try a 2.5 gallon batch just to see how it is done.  I think that is where the hobby is headed, especially with the mechanized systems.....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 08:49:32 pm »
16.5-22 gallons - I have a lot of friends that stop. I will admit to drinking more than I should. I like to split yeasts and different dry hops too.

Jeff B

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 01:14:18 am »
1-5 gallons, depending on what ingredients I've got to hand and how confident I am about the beer being good. Small batches are more fun as I can brew on a whim more often and always have a varied stock of beers. Also like to split batches into 1 gallon fermenters (used water bottles) and try different yeasts.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 05:34:17 am »
I used to do 10L batches, and brew at least twice a month.  Since I sorted myself a brew fridge, I only have room to do one brew at a time, so I now do 20L batches once a month.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017