0 (0%)
25 < 30
0 (0%)
30 < 55
0 (0%)
>= 55
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: What size batch do you most often brew?  (Read 3725 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: What size batch do you most often brew?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 06:10:16 am »
When I have time on the weekend I brew 5 gallons, batch sparging. But usually I don't have time on the weekends because I have a lot of other projects, social engagements et. I would say 4 out of 5 batches are 2.5 gallon biab batches that I do after work on a weekday. I can get home at 5:15 and have a batch in the fermenter by 9:00 and all cleaned up. I don't always need to make a starter for this size, I sometimes pitch a smack pack as is if its fresh into a lower gravity wort.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 11:39:38 am by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 06:37:39 am »
I started with 1 gallon kits.  That was too much work for not enough beer.  I quickly went to all grain 2.5 gallon batches.  This way I can brew every 2-3 weeks, and it's easier to handle.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline Ethan J

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 08:56:22 am »
I brew 12 gallon batches, which gets me 2 full kegs and usually I'll pull another gallon(ish) off and add some bugs and bacteria and that keeps some funky/sour stuff in the pipeline as well.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2016, 09:44:53 am »
Mostly one gallon batches. I do some 2-3 gallon batches and rarely 5 gallon batches.

I don't go through beer quick enough to brew larger batches unless I want to brew less frequently, which I don't.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2016, 09:52:41 am »
When I use my cooler, 99% of the time it's a 5.5 gal. batch.  Once or twice a year 8-10 gal.  In the Zymatic, it's 2.5 gal.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 11:14:08 am »
I was going to say <2 (was 1.7 gallons average), but now I'm kind of liking the full 2.0 or 2.1 that I've been doing lately.  Think I might keep it up there for a little while, maybe.  So I voted 2-3.  I dunno.... I keep going back and forth between 1.7 and 2.0 actually.  It's always in there somewhere.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 11:20:58 am »
I brew mostly 5.25 gallon batches, but a 3 gallon batch (for my 2.5 gallon keg) whenever I need to fill it and maybe for a starter batch when I want to start a new generation of yeast.
I drink a fair amount and a 5 gallon keg lasts usually 1-2 months with 3 beers on tap.
Jesse

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2016, 11:38:14 am »
For some lagers I actually start with a 1 gallon test batch, then repitch the yeast from that into a 2.5G and then into a 5. Decanting starter wort makes me sad

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2016, 01:25:48 pm »
5 gallons mostly. I have brewed ten gallons but I cant move 10 gallons but after struggling to move around (and into and out of a ferm fridge) a converted sanke keg, I now do split ferments when going big. This also gives me the option to do different things with one brew day. My next big brew is gonna be an English Pale ale split boil with one of the 5 gallon boils receiving a very low bittering hop addition and a commercial souring pitch after primary. I feel like I'm cheating the the system on days like these... One grain bill and 2 very different beers.
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA

Offline eodstads

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2016, 03:17:51 pm »
15 gallons. My neighbors love me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2016, 05:44:25 pm »
I currently brew five gallons.  I would like to move up to 10, but that means a new pot, a bigger mash tun, and another fermenter so it might be a while.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2016, 07:27:17 pm »
I brew 5.5 BBL but I fill 15 BBL fermenter.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2016, 07:56:45 pm »
I brew 3 gallons into the fermenter and 2.5 into the keg. I love this batch size. I am always sad when a keg kicks but it happens fast enough I get to brew at least once per month. I actually run fairly often because I give away beer to friends.  I kind of like running out though.
Same here.

I am the only one who drinks in my house, and it is usually only 4 or 5 beverages a week. If I have time to relax after the family and house is taken care of, then I'll settle down with a beer/mead/whiskey/sake/etc. The smaller batch size let's me brew 1-2 times a month without drowning in extra beer I can't drink. Plus, I like to experiment, so it doesn't bother me to dump a couple of gallons of beer that I don't want to drink.

Another advantage is that I can brew all-grain batches on the kitchen stove at this smaller size. No need to brew outside for me. I have heat in the winter, AC in the summer, and no need for pants ;)

All these reasons and more. In my early brewing days (2009) I was struggling with the lifting involved in 5-gallon batches. Going to all-grain in 2010 made small batches necessary. I like kitchen brewing. I like being able to experiment and know that I won't be dealing with 5 gallons of some huge mistake. I also enjoy how many 3-gallon kegs can fit in a standard fridge (I have a hand-me-down gifted from our landlord and I think I could squeeze four to six small kegs in there at least). At 58, I'm thinking I can keep brewing at this scale another decade without  accommodations. I may play with smaller batches soon-- not for physical reasons, but so I can go a little wild with ingredients.

For every brewer, the right size batch... that's the joy of homebrewing!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline stainlessbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2016, 08:46:23 pm »
I brew 2 gallon batches. Works best for my situation as far as consumption, space and desire to brew more often rather than more quantity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2016, 09:22:43 pm »
I voted for the 5-6 g batch. Most of my batches are 5.5-6 g, although I am capable of 10g. I am finding that I may need to go smaller to keep the beer fresher, but thats a tough pill to swallow after investing in a beautiful new 15 SS brew kettle in the not so distant past. What i really need to do is start kegging and getting better control in limiting my O2 exposure, then I would feel comfortable doing 5g all the time
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)