Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: S-189  (Read 6452 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
S-189
« on: April 02, 2016, 08:27:37 am »
I just tapped my first lager using S-189, and I'm not sure what I think of it yet. The fermentation character reminds me more of WY2007 than the German lager strains I've used. I don't know if it's low sulfur or something else, but it's lacking the fermentation character that I seem to get from something like 34/70. That on its own isn't necessarily a bad thing, just different.

What I'm not so sure on is this flavor I'm getting the really reminds me of sake for some reason. It's not quite hot, or sweet, or fruity, but some combination of the three. I don't think it's estery, but maybe it's a low fusel note. It's a low note, but it was unexpected for me. I haven't decided whether I'm OK with it or not yet. I'll come back to it in a week or so and reassess.

This was my challenge extract beer, so I decided to go low-tech on fermentation. I let this run at ambient in my basement (mid 50's). Maybe that's too high for this strain? Any thoughts from someone who has used this yeast? Has anyone gotten this fermentation character before?

3 gallon Recipe FWIW:
3lb Pilsen DME
8oz Munich LME
4oz CaraFoam
20 IBU Hallertau mf @60 min

1.049 OG, 1.010 FG
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: S-189
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 08:33:28 am »
I hate when there's a flavor you like or don't like and you can't quite describe it.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 07:04:40 pm »
I used it for a Maibock that is lagering now. It has just the slightest hint of green apple. I'm hoping it will age out seeing that it is very subtle, or a "low note" as you say. My fingers are crossed. I want to tap it for May.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 08:37:33 pm »
First time user today - 11 gallon batch with 2 packets pitched into well spun wort with a spoon stirring it in - Wow I have rarely had a lager yeast go so quickly!  Unlike others earlier reviewing this as a slow lag time, this one jumped out of the gate within about 6 hours to push my airlock to full fermentation at 52F.  No problems here - cannot wait to taste the beer.  Others like the yeast, so I am guessing this beer made for a June party will be quite exceptional. 
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 06:18:16 am »
I used it for a Maibock that is lagering now. It has just the slightest hint of green apple. I'm hoping it will age out seeing that it is very subtle, or a "low note" as you say. My fingers are crossed. I want to tap it for May.

Okay, I tasted this again today, one week into lagering. The green apple is gone--thankfully--but there is a little sweet flavor that I would describe as candy or sugar. Remember those little straw candies they used to sell? They were paper straws filled with sugar. That's sort of what I'm getting from it.
Frank C.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 10:09:20 am »

Okay, I tasted this again today, one week into lagering. The green apple is gone--thankfully--but there is a little sweet flavor that I would describe as candy or sugar. Remember those little straw candies they used to sell? They were paper straws filled with sugar. That's sort of what I'm getting from it.

I think that would be more likely to come from recipe or process.  I've used S-198 a fair bit and never found that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 10:18:17 am »

I brewed a maibock with S-189 last year. I'm bummed as I only have three bottles left.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 03:11:47 pm »

I think that would be more likely to come from recipe or process.  I've used S-198 a fair bit and never found that.

Recipe no. Process maybe. The beer was brewed with 100% malt: Pilsner, Munich, and acidiculated, all Weyermann.

My fermentation and lagering processes are weather dependent. Though, there were no wild temperature swings. Fermentation at 55 F a D-rest at 65 back down to 45 for lagering. I tend to think that it just needs time. I shouldn't be so quick to blame the yeast. I'll cast final judgment in May when tap it.
Frank C.

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 08:40:00 pm »

Pixy Stix?

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 09:30:44 pm »

Pixy Stix?
That was the name, "pure" poundable sugar
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 09:04:13 am »

Recipe no. Process maybe. The beer was brewed with 100% malt: Pilsner, Munich, and acidiculated, all Weyermann.

My fermentation and lagering processes are weather dependent. Though, there were no wild temperature swings. Fermentation at 55 F a D-rest at 65 back down to 45 for lagering. I tend to think that it just needs time. I shouldn't be so quick to blame the yeast. I'll cast final judgment in May when tap it.
I'm wondering if this yeast is a bit more temperature-sensitive than other lager yeasts I've used. I fermented mine at ~55F as well (pitched around 52F), and wonder if this caused the flavor I'm getting. I wonder if a more traditional lager fermentation of pitching in the mid 40's and fermenting at 50F would lead to less flavor impact.

And frankly, I don't know if I'd even bother with that experiment, since 34/70 is about as foolproof of a dry yeast as you can get and does just about everything I want in a lager yeast.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 09:33:25 am »
I have used it a lot, and it is a great, clean, fast fermenting lager yeast. I wouldn't ferment it at 55 though.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 12:50:02 pm »
I have used it a lot, and it is a great, clean, fast fermenting lager yeast. I wouldn't ferment it at 55 though.

That being said, what is your recommended temp range for S-189?
I have my eye on this yeast for my next lager, although I really like the Bohemian strain. I have never used 34/70. I have used Wyeast version and Mangrove Jack's Bohemian lager yeast though. How does the S-189 compare, in short? I'm sure it's been talked about before.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 02:50:10 pm »
I made an imperial pilsner last year with it that was fantastic. It really showcased the hops. It's a fast fermenter, works well at cold temps. I started it off at 48 and let it rock along at 50 before raising for drest

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 04:23:22 pm »

That being said, what is your recommended temp range for S-189?

According to Fermentis, the recommended temperature is 53 - 59 F.
Frank C.