Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My latest peeve....  (Read 8585 times)

Offline neddles

• Brewer
Re: My latest peeve....
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2016, 11:54:06 am »
I'm drinking a NE IPA I brewed right now. The mouthfeel is definitely pillowy. Soft and expansive. Almost airy. It's not a sensation/mouthfeel I've had in other beers, ever. So yeah, its a real thing.

Oh, you mean "flabby"!  ;)
Flabby is something different, at least as far as I've used it/seen it used. Flabby means dull/lifeless/insipid, and typically needs more acidity in the balance. It is the opposite of "bright"... or "juicy"  ;)

Interesting.  On a couple other forums where this is being discussed, the impression I get is that NE IPA is anything but "bright".  I kep hearing about the soft hop character and mouthfeel from large additions of CaCl2.
No. I am on one of those forums and nobody has suggested a lack of brightness or bright flavors in these beers. Bright and juicy go together and "soft" is the mouthfeel. What is lacking is the sharp bitterness and sharp dry edge that sulfate lends to many examples of IPA.
It seems you're really working way too hard to not like these beers or the people who brew them or something… I don't know what. Maybe a casualty of the medium but that's how it's coming across to me.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2016, 12:00:06 pm »
I'd be interested in trying one, but at >3000 miles from a proper example, the effort and cost exceeds my interest.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2016, 12:05:40 pm »
I'd be interested in trying one, but at >3000 miles from a proper example, the effort and cost exceeds my interest.
I'm not out there either. I had a very generous brewer on another forum offer to send me a handful of great examples. I was very curious about them and couldn't wait to give them a try.

Offline donger

• 1st Kit
  • "Mongo like candy..."
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2016, 01:14:18 pm »
It's more like a milky texture than juicy. I hate the term! I don't like the beers. It's like drinking tropical feathers! Pillowy.... is how someone described it. Who drinks their pillow?
Dirty pillows!
Formerly the Queen of Beer. Currently the Old Bag.