Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brewing podcast Episode 12  (Read 1418 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Experimental Brewing podcast Episode 12
« on: April 13, 2016, 10:28:23 am »
http://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-12-going-stale

It's Episode 12 and we're announcing our next experiment amongst other things! We start with listener feedback - everyone was intrigued by and puzzled by the results of our First Wort Hop experiment. So were we! Also, apparently y'all didn't mind Drew getting weighty on you for a moment.

At the pub, we talk about how the results of the GC election with lots of teasing that's not meant to be taken seriously! We announce that we have "plans" for Homebrew Con in Baltimore in June. (Ever wanted to ask us a question live and see if we know the answer? Now's your chance!) Denny gets to rant and rave at the moon with his latest pet peeve and Drew shares an awesome example of how sometimes the customer isn't right at all.

We make a quick stop in the brewery to talk about getting your beer can on and how Drew's club just canned a judge gift beer and Denny talks about his local canner's efforts with homebrew.

Then to the lab where we dig into every homebrewer's experience. You go to the homebrew shop full of good intentions, buy some grain and mill it. Then you can't brew for a month or two - is your grain still good? Oh bother - guess we'll find out, won't we? We also talk a little about our experiences with the whole issue.

We go to the Pacific Northwest Homebrewers Conference where Denny interviews Annie Johnson - one of our favorite brewers. Not only has she won two amazing brewing achievements - AHA Homebrewer of the Year and Pilsner Urquell's Masterhomebrewer, but she manages to keep a playful side to her brewing. Listen and learn! (Including her secret obsession)

After Annie, we hit the books for a couple of questions, including one that really made us do some research to avoid our knee jerk "are you kidding us?" reaction. That was awesome!

Denny drops his quick tip about being a yeast abuser.

And then Denny talks about his soon to be assembled chicken coop and the artisans behind it. Drew then drops two things - Billy Dee is back as Colt 45's spokesman and Sweden has a phone number. Yup, Sweden. It's awesome.

This episode can be downloaded directly at http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/www.experimentalbrew.com/sites/d...

Podcast RSS Url: http://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast.rss
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Experimental Brewing podcast Episode 12
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 12:27:26 am »
I learned something. I have been pronouncing it Ur-Kell and when I heard you pronounce it Ur-Kwell I thought "Oh, come on!" Then Annie pronounced it that way, and I figure anyone who has brewed PU at the brewery in Pilzn ought to know how to say it. Its Pilsner Ur-Qwell for me from now on.

On that note, tell Drew its pronounced Teets. At least it is here in cattle country

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 09:43:29 am »
I learned something. I have been pronouncing it Ur-Kell and when I heard you pronounce it Ur-Kwell I thought "Oh, come on!" Then Annie pronounced it that way, and I figure anyone who has brewed PU at the brewery in Pilzn ought to know how to say it. Its Pilsner Ur-Qwell for me from now on.

On that note, tell Drew its pronounced Teets. At least it is here in cattle country

For me, the most fascinating thing in the episode was the discovery that hops contain diastase.  Blew my mind!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 01:26:39 pm »

For me, the most fascinating thing in the episode was the discovery that hops contain diastase.  Blew my mind!
When I heard that I thought "Denny just found the true reason behind Mash Hopping" LOL

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 01:37:14 pm »

When I heard that I thought "Denny just found the true reason behind Mash Hopping" LOL

Yeah, but it turns out that diastase isn't readily available, so mash hopping is still a waste!

www.dennybrew.com