Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Step Mash vs. Single Infusion | exBEERiment Results!  (Read 11541 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Step Mash vs. Single Infusion | exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2016, 03:42:08 pm »
I just made a German pils with 100% Weyermann Barke pils malt.  Single infusion at 148F for 90 minutes.  Delicious beer, crystal clear.

My last pils used Bestmaltz pilsner malt at 150f for 60 minutes that turned out really good and I can't see where all the trouble of a step mash would improve it enough to make it worthwhile.

might not...might. you'd have to try to decide.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

RPIScotty

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2016, 04:05:35 pm »
I just made a German pils with 100% Weyermann Barke pils malt.  Single infusion at 148F for 90 minutes.  Delicious beer, crystal clear.

My last pils used Bestmaltz pilsner malt at 150f for 60 minutes that turned out really good and I can't see where all the trouble of a step mash would improve it enough to make it worthwhile.

A general trend is emerging with people experiencing positive results with a 60/60 Hochkurz.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2016, 04:30:42 pm »

A general trend is emerging with people experiencing positive results with a 60/60 Hochkurz.

and its nothing new. been going on for at least 100's of years probably. end of the day- yes it' s more time vs single infusion. so with that you would have to try, evaluate, and decide for yourself if its what you want to do or not.  really-that's the fun in brewing for me.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2016, 04:41:01 pm »
so with that you would have to try, evaluate, and decide for yourself if its what you want to do or not.  really-that's the fun in brewing for me.

Yep, cheers to that. Gotta take in all this cool info and spin it into your own style.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2016, 04:44:30 pm »
so with that you would have to try, evaluate, and decide for yourself if its what you want to do or not.  really-that's the fun in brewing for me.

Yep, cheers to that. Gotta take in all this cool info and spin it into your own style.
Amen. The only thing that truly ever ruffles my feathers on this forum is when someone says " I never , so it's not true....or I did, so its fact".
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2016, 04:47:36 pm »

Amen. The only thing that truly ever ruffles my feathers on this forum is when someone says " I never , so it's not true....or I did, so its fact".
Well, like I've said, the Germans don't cut corners because it is worth the time, effort, and cost to them. They wouldn't bother with it otherwise.
Jesse

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2016, 04:51:10 pm »

Well, like I've said, the Germans don't cut corners because it is worth the time, effort, and cost to them. They wouldn't bother with it otherwise.
I wish I didn't perceive a difference...gives me couple hours back each brew day!
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

RPIScotty

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2016, 04:54:13 pm »

and its nothing new. been going on for at least 100's of years probably. end of the day- yes it' s more time vs single infusion. so with that you would have to try, evaluate, and decide for yourself if its what you want to do or not.  really-that's the fun in brewing for me.

I just meant it as a positive comment.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2016, 04:54:51 pm »

No worries, understood.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

RPIScotty

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2016, 05:13:21 pm »

No worries, understood.

Are you sold on your new steam method? I'm going to try it on my next Tripel.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2016, 05:14:54 pm »

No worries, understood.

Are you sold on your new steam method? I'm going to try it on my next Tripel.
Well it's working for me. Cheap, effective way for me to step.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2016, 09:46:35 am »

Best is what I normally use, but I had a sample of the Barke I wanted to try.  My usual mash for any beer, especially lagers, that I want to be dry is 148 for 90 min.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2016, 04:20:33 pm »

Best is what I normally use, but I had a sample of the Barke I wanted to try.  My usual mash for any beer, especially lagers, that I want to be dry is 148 for 90 min.

At 150f for 60 minutes it went from 1.052 to 1.012 and I'm real happy with it.
I split it in half and brewed half of it with S-189, dry hopped with wakatu and saaz, and the other half with M-44, dry hopped with glacier.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
Step Mash vs. Single Infusion | exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2016, 11:18:35 pm »
I know I can perceive a difference. Even if it's subtle, it takes, what would be a good beer, to a great beer.
With all due respect, how do you know you perceive a difference? I'm not saying there isn't one, I'm just truly curious if you've done blind comparisons? I'm a huge believer in the subjectivity of preference, so what's good to one might be great to another, hence my adherence to the "to each their own" mentality.

Tradition is often an incredibly strong influence, particularly in more collectivist cultures. That and the fear of losing product/money should something go wrong are at least reasonable possibilities as to why some (not all) German brewers continue utilizing conventional methods.

Offline FaradayUncaged

• Cellarman
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2016, 05:34:33 am »

Tradition is often an incredibly strong influence, particularly in more collectivist cultures. That and the fear of losing product/money should something go wrong are at least reasonable possibilities as to why some (not all) German brewers continue utilizing conventional methods.

Well said.  The statistical results of testing ideas against the norm is my favorite part of the xbmts that can potentially alter the way I go about homebrewing (as otherwise I'm just somewhat-blindly abiding by traditional guidelines in terms of really knowing the science behind the methods).