Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cascade Bomb Pale Ale  (Read 1578 times)

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
Cascade Bomb Pale Ale
« on: April 04, 2016, 08:10:26 am »
I love SNPA and figured I'd make something like that. I ordered an 8 oz pack along with a 1 and 2 oz pack as the AA's aren't stated and I wanted around 45 IBU's.

5.25 gal batch

8 lbs pale ale malt
0.75 lb crystal 40
0.5 lb flaked barley
0.25 lb light DME
0.5 oz Cascade (6.8%) @ 70 mins
1.75 oz Cascade @ 21/7 mins
2 oz Cascade for whirlpool and dry hop
US-05

1.050/1.010
5.3%
48 IBU's
7 SRM

I'll be getting this started around noon today and I'm now uncertain whether I'd prefer to forgo the dry hop and smack it good at the whirlpool.

I had been doing 28 min whirlpools but read of some who prefer a longer whirlpool (up to an hour). Which would you do and why?

For hoppy beers are target a little high as Brewtoad doesn't seem accurate, and I've read Tinseth doesn't work correctly for late hop additions. My IPA's have a similar hop schedule as above (with higher AA hops) with an IBU calculated around 100 and these are not bitter, but more like a nice west coast style. I assume this will come across more like a 40 IBU pale.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Cascade Bomb Pale Ale
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 08:21:44 am »
When I want maximum whirlpool impact, I'll for 90 minutes. I find that I get more hop character from the longer whirlpool. FWIW, I don't have a recirculation pump, so my "whirlpool" is really just a hop stand with intermittent stirring (every 5-10 minutes). YMMV, based on your system.

I have also started playing around with doing my whirlpools at 120F. I haven't decided whether I prefer this temp over a hotter whirlpool yet, but I certainly like the character I've gotten so far.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline amichuda

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 08:28:14 am »
I hate adding time to my brewday, so I avoid long whirlpools and hop stands. But if you have the time, go for it. 

Some of the best hoppy beers I've made only had 2 oz at 10 mins, and 2 oz dry hops (5 gal batches). On my system I don't get much from whirlpool hops.

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 09:12:18 am »
I stir every 2-5 mins or so and slightly chill initially to get around 185* or so.

I'll double my whirlpool time today.

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 11:50:42 am »
For future reference, SN gives some recipe detail on their website. 

http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/year-round/pale-ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 11:55:38 am »

Even better is this recipe...dead on accurate....http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/NearlyNirvanaPaleAle
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 12:02:35 pm »

Even better is this recipe...dead on accurate....http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/NearlyNirvanaPaleAle
Denny, is that one of your recipes? The notes at the bottom say that hops and grist have changed. Better as written or with the changes?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 12:12:36 pm »
Thanks Denny!

I don't usually try to clone recipes per se but certainly dig for info if I'm having issues such as with Old Speckled Hen ESB and Arrogant Bastard.

All of the "clone" recipes I found were close to what you posted Denny. Seems this one will certainly be a hop bomb for a pale ale. It seems it may well sit nicely in the crossover portion for a pale/IPA as it ought to be 5.5% with priming sugar.