Author Topic: Krausen Blowout  (Read 1285 times)

Offline 00ramair

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Krausen Blowout
« on: April 04, 2016, 08:06:37 AM »
I had my first krausen blowout, it clogged my airlock and blew it off the carboy. I'm still pretty new to home brewing. It sat open maybe 8 hours at the most, do I have to worry about any possible contamination to my beer?

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Krausen Blowout
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 08:14:57 AM »
Nope.  Your beer will be fine.
Steve
All Hands Brewing
BJCP #D1667

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 10:00:05 AM »
Nope.  Your beer will be fine.
+1
Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
In keg: Bloatarian Hop Project with Galena, Mt. Hood, and Azacca
In Bottles:  Brown Eyed Woman Scottish Heavy
In the works: Fest Bier 2 ways to celebrate 100 days nicotine free

Offline FaradayUncaged

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 10:00:21 AM »
I'm sure it will be just fine.  Hopefully the cleanup wasn't too bad.

Did you install a blowoff tube or just a clean airlock afterward?  I've done the latter before only to have it fill up and need replaced again shortly thereafter.

How high was your OG and how full was the fermenter?  (asking more for 'how do I prevent this next time')

Offline 00ramair

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 04:05:29 PM »
Clean up wasn't to bad, I did install a blow off tube. It's a 6 gallon carboy with 5 gallons in it. The OG was 1.072. I checked it in the evening and fermentation was still mild and by morning it had blown the airlock off so I'm not sure how long the airlock was off.

Offline 00ramair

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 04:06:47 PM »

Offline VinnyV1981

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 06:43:58 PM »
I have done that a few times. Any beer over 8-9 percent will do that. I now hook a hose from the cork into a gallon jug filled half way with water. Best air lock around. Your beer will be fine I love that color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Homebrew... 0% Tax 100% Flavor

Offline FaradayUncaged

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 05:12:12 AM »
Clean up wasn't to bad, I did install a blow off tube. It's a 6 gallon carboy with 5 gallons in it. The OG was 1.072. I checked it in the evening and fermentation was still mild and by morning it had blown the airlock off so I'm not sure how long the airlock was off.

That mess could have been a lot worse, so that's not terrible.

My generic rule of thumb (what works for my system at the moment) is to use the blowoff for anything above a 1.060.

You may also want to check out Fermcap S.  LHBS or the usual online shops carry it and reviews seem positive.  I don't have a lot of experience with it myself (used once with a 1.090 beer and still had activity in the blowoff tube) but for ~$5 it seemed worth the investment.

Offline FaradayUncaged

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 05:14:02 AM »
Unrelated, but it looks like you've sealed your big mouth bubbles.  Is that tape?  I've heard that they can leak and assume that's why?  I've thought about adding one to the carboy lineup.

Offline 00ramair

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 07:36:29 AM »

That mess could have been a lot worse, so that's not terrible.

My generic rule of thumb (what works for my system at the moment) is to use the blowoff for anything above a 1.060.

You may also want to check out Fermcap S.  LHBS or the usual online shops carry it and reviews seem positive.  I don't have a lot of experience with it myself (used once with a 1.090 beer and still had activity in the blowoff tube) but for ~$5 it seemed worth the investment.

I will have to look into the Fermcap S.

I'm still learning a lot of lessons the hard way!!

Offline 00ramair

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 07:40:06 AM »
Unrelated, but it looks like you've sealed your big mouth bubbles.  Is that tape?  I've heard that they can leak and assume that's why?  I've thought about adding one to the carboy lineup.

Those are glass big mouth bubblers that have a push on lid, the lid springs right off and won't stay sealed that's why I taped them. It still uses the same push in bung in the middle like a traditional carboy. Other than that issue they are awesome for cleaning and doing additions like fruit.

Has anyone else had issues with those lids?

Offline FaradayUncaged

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 08:18:19 AM »

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 08:35:52 AM »
Personally, I think blowout is a sign of higher than optimum fermentation temps.  Also, you definitely want to ferment a Scottish at lower temp.  1728 works in the mid 50's...  Is Fermometer reading near 70F? 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline FaradayUncaged

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 09:05:10 AM »
Personally, I think blowout is a sign of higher than optimum fermentation temps.  Also, you definitely want to ferment a Scottish at lower temp.  1728 works in the mid 50's...  Is Fermometer reading near 70F?

Did OP mention the yeast strain in another thread?

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 09:12:25 AM »
No; I was just throwing that out there as an example and should have indicated such (IE). 
Sam
Sandusky, OH