Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop seeds!  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Attik

• Cellarman
Hop seeds!
« on: April 04, 2016, 02:16:41 pm »
Hey there!

I have been looking round the internet for rhizomes and hop seeds as I want to try planting.. but I cant find anything especially interesting.
I am looking seeds more than anything...Sorachi Ace, Chinook....and so on.
My major difficulty is that I live in Spain and there is a website which asked for 5000$ for sending it to Spain...hehe. If anyone has anything or would like to sell to me through ebay or something..would be awesome!

Any help would be appreciated!

trentm

Re: Hop seeds!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 02:56:30 pm »
Hops seeds are difficult to sprout and it's a gamble as to what you'll get from them, not only in terms of male/female plants but also in terms of genetics.

You'd be better off with rhizomes which genetically clone the original plant.

Purchasing hop seeds over the internet is generally a scandalous operation (i.e. rip-off).  Rhizomes are probably pretty safe, however, I'm not sure of the regulations governing international shipment of plants.

Also, most interesting varieties are patented, valuable property and the only way you're going to get a copy of them is to jump over the fence of the hop yard, cut and dig a rhizome and jump back without getting caught.

Not sure of the climate in Spain but most hops require a more moderate climate like the Pacific Northwest, Upper Midwest and Northeast US.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Hop seeds!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 02:59:11 pm »
The other issue with seeds is there is no guarantee what genetics come through in those seeds. Two seeds from one female and one male can yield two different offspring.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 03:00:42 pm »
Hops are like apples, you don't plant the seeds unless you want something different from the original, as the seed was fertilized with pollen from an unknown tree. You are different from your mother and father right?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Attik

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 03:47:47 pm »
You guys just killed me! Well I have in hand 5 rhizomes and I was convinced about the seeds...oh well, I guess i'll have to be happy with what I have. How much quantity can I get out of a hop plant in its second and third year (when it is a bit grown up)? Just out of curiosity as I havent got a clue.

Enviado desde mi LG-D855 mediante Tapatalk

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 06:31:01 pm »
You guys just killed me! Well I have in hand 5 rhizomes and I was convinced about the seeds...oh well, I guess i'll have to be happy with what I have. How much quantity can I get out of a hop plant in its second and third year (when it is a bit grown up)? Just out of curiosity as I havent got a clue.

Enviado desde mi LG-D855 mediante Tapatalk
My hop growing friends have said that you don't get much in the first year. Second and third year you get lots of hops.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.