Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Krausen Blowout  (Read 4805 times)

Offline FaradayUncaged

• Cellarman
Re: Krausen Blowout
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 10:14:40 am »
No; I was just throwing that out there as an example and should have indicated such (IE).

Now that makes sense.  Otherwise I do agree that proper temperatures can help keep things in check.

Offline 00ramair

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 10:23:32 am »
Personally, I think blowout is a sign of higher than optimum fermentation temps.  Also, you definitely want to ferment a Scottish at lower temp.  1728 works in the mid 50's...  Is Fermometer reading near 70F?

Where I have those fermentors it is 64F and stays very consistent. The thermometer strips usually read 62-64F.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 11:12:52 am »
Good temps.  Was wort this temp at pitching? 

Not sure if you are fan on the Scots styles but I have the style book and there are 3 big takeaways: caramelize wort, authentic yeast, and cool ferment (50's) but still worth the read if you like the style. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline 00ramair

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 11:24:38 am »
Good temps.  Was wort this temp at pitching? 

Not sure if you are fan on the Scots styles but I have the style book and there are 3 big takeaways: caramelize wort, authentic yeast, and cool ferment (50's) but still worth the read if you like the style.

The wort was about 75F when I pitched the yeast.

I do have a root cellar in my house that is a pretty consistent 50F during fall winter and spring and about 55F during summer months.

I am a big fan Scottish style ales, this is the first one I am attempting to make. Which book are you referring to? I might have to buy a copy.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2016, 11:44:19 am »
That's it.  Let the wort acclimate and come down.  It's ok if it's even an overnight rest, I do it all the time in summer.  You might be surprised how much this helps your beer.  Smoother/less rough. 

That cellar is perfect for Scots and lagers even! 

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Ale-Classic-Beer-Style/dp/0937381357  For $8 is a no brainer. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline 00ramair

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 01:35:08 pm »
That's it.  Let the wort acclimate and come down.  It's ok if it's even an overnight rest, I do it all the time in summer.  You might be surprised how much this helps your beer.  Smoother/less rough. 

That cellar is perfect for Scots and lagers even! 

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Ale-Classic-Beer-Style/dp/0937381357  For $8 is a no brainer.

I will definitely let it acclimate on my next batch. Most of the beginner stuff says to pitch the yeast when it's below 80F and that's all the detail you get. Thanks for the tip on the book it's already in my Amazon cart for my next order.

I did a Bavarian Hefeweizen that I put in the root cellar, I was told to put that one somewhere colder and it turned out awesome!!!