Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: AHA Nationals Judging in Austin this past weekend  (Read 1126 times)

Offline schoolcb

• 1st Kit
AHA Nationals Judging in Austin this past weekend
« on: April 04, 2016, 10:52:03 am »
I drove down from the Dallas/Fort Worth area to help judge Nationals in Austin this past weekend.  What a great time.

I found it odd that nobody from the AHA was present as they have been in years past, not even the local board rep (who is from Austin).  Strange?

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
Re: AHA Nationals Judging in Austin this past weekend
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 12:05:36 pm »
Hey, thanks for driving down Brian. We couldn't have wrapped in two days without everyone jumping in. I know Neil was thrilled with the support.

I found it odd that nobody from the AHA was present as they have been in years past, not even the local board rep (who is from Austin).  Strange?

I also found that odd... but I don't want to cast dispersions. Stuart West was there the whole time - he ran for an AHA office position this year.

Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 01:46:10 pm »
The AHA did send Janis Gross and John Morehead to Indy.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline schoolcb

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 02:18:22 pm »

Two in Indy, none in Austin, just helping me make my point.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 02:57:15 pm »

Two in Indy, none in Austin, just helping me make my point.

It sounds like you are taking it as a slight. Over the years I judged in Indy and Zainsville, twice each, and no one from the AHA staff were there. Indy was the first time. I know that Janis and Gary Glass would usually go to one site or so a year. That leaves many that they don't go to. John is in training, and was shadowing Janis as part of his training

As for members of the Governing Committee, they aren't required to judge. There were 3 GC members at Indy, two local, and I came down from MI. One was on the local site team. We were all are BJCP, so we got points for judging.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline schoolcb

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 04:35:41 pm »

It sounds like you are taking it as a slight.

Just find it odd, that not even the governing board rep who lives in Austin was there.  Not even to stop by just to make an appearance.  Huge event, biggest homebrew competition (multiple site competition) in the world.  Just surprises me it doesn't get more attention from the AHA peeps.

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 10:15:33 am »

It sounds like you are taking it as a slight.

Just find it odd, that not even the governing board rep who lives in Austin was there.  Not even to stop by just to make an appearance.  Huge event, biggest homebrew competition (multiple site competition) in the world.  Just surprises me it doesn't get more attention from the AHA peeps.

First, thanks for helping out!

Sounds like more of a beef with your local AHA Rep than with the AHA. But, sometimes schedules don't work out and those reps are all volunteers, so I'd probably cut them some slack.
Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
Grand Master Judge + Mead Judge
BJCP Communications Director
AHA Governing Committee

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 11:11:37 am »
I drove down from the Dallas/Fort Worth area to help judge Nationals in Austin this past weekend.  What a great time.

It was certainly a blast.  I wish I could have stayed longer, but my drive was a bit long Sunday.

Janis was probably helping prep the local site for this coming weekend since they're based in Denver.  It was a little unusual that Debbie wasn't there since she said she would be on the Facebook event, but life happens.  Regardless, Neil and Stuart (and Ann, Jordan, et al) ran a great site.  The only issue in my world is that 4th Tap's cold room was a bit too cold.  ;)  They were great hosts though.

narvin

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 08:22:32 pm »
Each site is independent. Yes, it's a crap shoot.

I will say, from when I used to enter a lot, I have the utmost respect for the judging at the Zanesville,  Ohio site.  Far better than the amateur hour that some of the later sites that replaced it mustered.