Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: New Orleans  (Read 5335 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
New Orleans
« on: April 05, 2016, 10:16:15 am »
Any recommendations on breweries near the French Quarter?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: New Orleans
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 10:22:52 am »
Have not been there since 2008, so no info from me, but I really want to get back down there, and so does my lady as she has never been. Such a great town!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 11:47:55 am »
Not much near the French Quarter at the moment.  Crescent City Brewhouse and Gordon Biersch are it right there at the moment.  I highly recommend GB though.  The brewer is given a lot of latitude for experimental stuff besides doing a great job on the regular lineup.  Nice guy too if you get a chance to chat.  His name is Sonny Day.

That being said, there are several beer spots and breweries that you should try to get to.

1) The Avenue Pub - In my opinion, it's the best beer bar in the gulf south.  Good whiskey selection too.  It's on St. Charles Avenue, so you can get on the St. Charles street car at the corner of Canal and Carondelet.  Get a day pass for $3 a person.  The Avenue is at the corner of St. Charles and Polymnia.

2) NOLA Brewing - On Tchopitoulas by the 7th Street Wharf.  Really nice 2 story tap room.  Friday tours are from 2-4 featuring free beer.

3) Courtyard Brewery - Small scale brewery serving their own beer and lots of guest stuff.  Scott's from San Diego originally, so he brews a lot of hoppy stuff, but has some other stuff from time to time.

4) Urban South - Just opened officially.  Right now they have an IPA and a Wit on.

Shameless plug of a friend's article:
http://www.nolabeerblog.com/p/up-to-date-list-of-all-louisiana.html

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 12:19:53 pm »
Thanks. I will be traveling in late June and no virtually nothing about the city at this point. I quick google search brought these up in the area as well:

Crescent City
Jackson Brewery Bistro Bar
Brieux Carre Brewing

Do these exist?

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 01:39:06 pm »
NOLA brewing is a complete and absolute must. The beer was absolutely fantastic and the flights were very affordable. And the staff the time I was there was phenomenal. Talked brewing for almost 4 hours with my wife and I.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 02:20:45 pm »
I visited the Avenue Pub based on recommendations from this forum and loved it. One of the top bars I've visited while traveling. It's easy to get to from the French Quarter on the streetcar.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 02:55:01 pm »
Thanks. I will be traveling in late June and no virtually nothing about the city at this point. I quick google search brought these up in the area as well:

Crescent City
Brieux Carre Brewing

Do these exist?

Crescent City is the first one I mentioned.  Their thing is German beer and food.  For the most part, they're good, but not great.  Similar to how I would have described Gordon Biersch before Sonny got there.  GB only had a few OK brewers between Sonny and another guy a few years prior to him.  Skip the Jax Bistro.  It's not going to have anything you can't find in any other bar in the Quarter.  Its name is because it's located in the mall that used to be the Jax brewery a long time ago.

I would have mentioned Brieux Carre, except that they're not really anywhere near being open (target is Mardi Gras 2017).  The list at Nora's link is current, so if it's not listed on there, it's not in production yet.  If you get your dates and schedule nailed down, let me know.  I'm always looking for an excuse to head to New Orleans.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 03:30:26 pm »

Crescent City
Brieux Carre Brewing

Do these exist?

Crescent City is the first one I mentioned.  Their thing is German beer and food.  For the most part, they're good, but not great.  Similar to how I would have described Gordon Biersch before Sonny got there.  GB only had a few OK brewers between Sonny and another guy a few years prior to him.  Skip the Jax Bistro.  It's not going to have anything you can't find in any other bar in the Quarter.  Its name is because it's located in the mall that used to be the Jax brewery a long time ago.

I would have mentioned Brieux Carre, except that they're not really anywhere near being open (target is Mardi Gras 2017).  The list at Nora's link is current, so if it's not listed on there, it's not in production yet.  If you get your dates and schedule nailed down, let me know.  I'm always looking for an excuse to head to New Orleans.

Awesome thanks. I think we are going to stay in the Merigny area so that we can be close to Frenchman and the French Quarter.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 04:07:32 pm »
Good choice on staying in Merigny, but we always stay in the CEntral Business District at the Residence Inn.  It is close enough to walk to the Quarter and the museums (and a short walk to the Avenue Pub), but is not tourist central.
Listen to everything Toby said. 
We were just there last month and enjoyed NOLA Brewing quite a bit.  It kind of looks like they built their tasting room last week.
In New Orleans, it's not so much about the beer as it is about the food.  If you happen to find yourself somewhere with a lean beer selection, have a Sazerac.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 09:14:32 am »
Awesome thanks. I think we are going to stay in the Merigny area so that we can be close to Frenchman and the French Quarter.

If you're staying in the Marigny, a stop by dba on Frenchmen will net you much better beer options than the Jax Bistro.  Note the correct spellings. ;)

Good choice on staying in Merigny, but we always stay in the CEntral Business District at the Residence Inn.  It is close enough to walk to the Quarter and the museums (and a short walk to the Avenue Pub), but is not tourist central.

Decent spot.  Anything that's a short walk to the Avenue is great in my opinion.  There's a little B&B a block away that we like a lot.

We were just there last month and enjoyed NOLA Brewing quite a bit.  It kind of looks like they built their tasting room last week.

This past summer.  The former tap room became a private event space (it's a real good spot for bottle shares).  Also McClure's BBQ on site is awesome.

In New Orleans, it's not so much about the beer as it is about the food.  If you happen to find yourself somewhere with a lean beer selection, have a Sazerac.

Solid recommendation.  Skip the sugary tourist drinks.  Also not a beer place, but 212 Loyola Ave (about a block off of Canal) is a place called the Krewe Lounge.  If you go, try a Firestarter (he does have some locals on tap also).  Tell JP I sent you.  It's been a while since I've seen him since we haven't been downtown in a while (we went to school together).

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 03:57:31 pm »
I have centered trips around beer in the past which is definitely not going to be the case this time. I just want to make sure that I don't miss a good spot if I am near it. I want to try as much traditional local food and drink as possible...

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 04:18:45 pm »
If you can get to Willie May's  scotch house, I believe in the 9th Parrish, GO! Best damn fried chicken you will ever eat but get there early- lunch, they don't do dinner cause they run outta food;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 04:41:16 pm »
If you can get to Willie May's  scotch house, I believe in the 9th Parrish, GO! Best damn fried chicken you will ever eat but get there early- lunch, they don't do dinner cause they run outta food;)

I went with friends, and they and everyone else said - "take a cab". We walked everywhere else.

There are many bars where you can find good food food and at least an Abita or another local beer.

The best meal of one trip was at Cochon. We saw Mario Batali at another table, so even a TV chef would go there.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:46:02 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 04:48:20 pm »
Been to NOLA a few times - heard great things about Willie May's but never got there. I do highly recommend Domilise's - best po boys I've ever had (Toby might disagree). So much amazing food in NOLA. Best food city in America IMO. I know this thread is about beer, but damn, the food is good there!
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 05:32:37 am »
When I go to NOLA its all about the food, sure there's good beer to be had but the food really shines!

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010