Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boiled Profiles in Bru'n Water  (Read 1146 times)

RPIScotty

Boiled Profiles in Bru'n Water
« on: April 06, 2016, 05:51:52 am »
I'm looking to create a custom boiled profile of my own water.

Does anyone know the equations for how much of the mineral content is reduced by boiling?

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
Re: Boiled Profiles in Bru'n Water
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 08:41:19 am »
I took a quick glance at the Water book as I didn't remember. I realize this isn't the answer you were looking for, but I happened to be on this page:

Reducing alkalinity with slaked lime (calcium hydroxide) is very similar to the boiling method, but slaked lime adds more calcium and raises pH, achieving lower levels of alkalinity than boiling alone. It also has the benefit of reducing iron, manganese, and silica along with natural organic matter compounds such as ammonia.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 08:49:27 am »
Just before that section (still in chapter 6) there are several pages of equations and a table related to what you asked about. It gave me a headache to read it and it's probably not appropriate for me to copy/paste large sections of the book. Maybe that will lead you in the right direction?

My water has a lot of calcium stripped out during city treatment, so slaked lime is probably a better route for most of my dark beers. While my water pH is quite high (9.6) the total alkalinity is pretty moderate at 63. That means if I add half a milliliter too much acid my pH drops too low. That's why I'm leaning towards the slaked lime for beers that have a fair amount of acidic malts.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 09:02:41 am »
This post from Martin Brungard should explain everything (or nearly-so) about the boiling water method of decarbonation and mineral reduction:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=5792.0

RPIScotty

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 09:10:01 am »
Awesome guys. Thanks a bunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk