Author Topic: Brewers Association Top 50  (Read 1355 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
Brewers Association Top 50
« on: April 06, 2016, 03:30:15 PM »
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: Brewers Association Top 50
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 03:38:32 PM »
Ninkasi here in Eugene is #36.  Oakshire, where I work, is in the top 100.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MDixon

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 03:51:17 PM »
Too bad they don't break out the various locations. It would be interesting to see how much of the total output for SN and OB is from NC. NB just started releasing their NC brewed products.

It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline mabrungard

• Brewmaster General
  • Water matters!
    • View Profile
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 03:52:00 PM »
Can someone tell me about Minhas Craft Brewery? It didn't seem to fit the category to me, but I've never heard of them.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 05:00:16 PM »
Can someone tell me about Minhas Craft Brewery? It didn't seem to fit the category to me, but I've never heard of them.
Surprised they're on here as well. They're a giant contract brewery that seems to specialize in crappy beers. They brew a lot of the house brand labels for places like Trader Joes, Costco etc.

Offline kramerog

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 05:18:25 PM »

Minhas' brewery is the old Huber brewery. 

The footnote to Minhas says "includes Mountain Crest and 10 other brand families as well as export volume."

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 06:03:37 PM »
Wow, Revolution in Chicago is  #50! They started as a brewpub in 2010 and opened their production brewery in 2012.

I'm always impressed at how high New Glarus is, given that they only distribute in Wisconsin. Spotted Cow is everywhere you go, though.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 06:35:13 PM »
It is a dubious distinction that RI makes the list because of 'gansett, which isn't actually brewed in state. Hopefully they will finally get their brewery up and running in Pawtucket soon (cue Family Guy jokes).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

RPIScotty

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 06:39:38 PM »
It is a dubious distinction that RI makes the list because of 'gansett, which isn't actually brewed in state. Hopefully they will finally get their brewery up and running in Pawtucket soon (cue Family Guy jokes).

I used to deep see fish out of Westerly every year. We used to go to CC O'Brien's in Pawcatuck for dinner and beers. 

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 06:44:01 PM »
Have you tried the 'gansett/ autocrat syrup coffee stout? A combo of two RI institutions known throughout New England. Its not something I would drink all the time but really surprisingly good.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 07:03:07 PM »
Autocrat coffee syrup in beer?

I'm intrigued. That might be worth an experiment or two.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 07:41:12 PM »

This may not sound good but what I would call the "cheap coffee flavor" actually works, and I'm not one to like extracts etc. Its just got a certain something that I liked. Its like how I hate cheap milk chocolate and cheap peanut butter but I actually occasionally like a cheap peanut butter cup even though better quality ones now exist. Definitely part nostalgia.

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 11:16:20 PM »
Have you tried the 'gansett/ autocrat syrup coffee stout? A combo of two RI institutions known throughout New England. Its not something I would drink all the time but really surprisingly good.
I'm not a milk stout guy, but I agree that it was pretty good. I admit to having my share of their Del's Lemonade (another RI institution) Summer Shandy every summer. Actually most of their seasonals and one-offs are usually pretty good (their HP Lovecraft series, for example). The head brewer at Revival/Brutopia in Cranston does a lot of their recipe development, so it doesn't surprise me that their beers are good.

The main issue is mainly local politics. The owners brought back the Narragansett brand and keep pushing the local RI connection, but contract brew all their beer in NY. That hasn't sat well with a lot of Rhode Islanders.
Eric B.

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 11:18:01 PM »

This may not sound good but what I would call the "cheap coffee flavor" actually works, and I'm not one to like extracts etc. Its just got a certain something that I liked. Its like how I hate cheap milk chocolate and cheap peanut butter but I actually occasionally like a cheap peanut butter cup even though better quality ones now exist. Definitely part nostalgia.
I'm surprised that you guys have heard of it. I didn't realize that it got any distribution outside of the state.
Eric B.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 12:42:19 AM »
I'm not a milk stout guy, but I agree that it was pretty good. I admit to having my share of their Del's Lemonade (another RI institution) Summer Shandy every summer. Actually most of their seasonals and one-offs are usually pretty good (their HP Lovecraft series, for example). The head brewer at Revival/Brutopia in Cranston does a lot of their recipe development, so it doesn't surprise me that their beers are good.

The main issue is mainly local politics. The owners brought back the Narragansett brand and keep pushing the local RI connection, but contract brew all their beer in NY. That hasn't sat well with a lot of Rhode Islanders.
Buddy Cianci is rolling in his grave...