Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Confessions of a Yeast Abuser  (Read 5191 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Confessions of a Yeast Abuser
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 01:29:25 pm »
That's very cool, Denny. Good to know I'm not the only one who's gone down that road. I agree that it's important to know the rules thoroughly before you break them. Lots of experience helps you break the rules with a good chance of success. Glad it turned out nice.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 01:33:11 pm »
+1
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 01:35:20 pm »
I hate making starters. I see them as another chore on level with cleaning kegs, fermenters, or bottles. I prefer to make my starters 5 gallons at a time and repitch. This requires some pre-planning, but at least I get a keg full of beer out of it.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 01:36:05 pm »
Glad to read that. I think I under pitched my current lager.  It too was 2.5 gallons. I did a 1.5L starter for 12 hours planning to pitch at high krausen. I tried to cold crash a few hours  and decant. It didn't work I poured out about half the liquid and I think a lot of yeast decanting. It took 48 hours to show a small krausen. I'm hoping for good beer.

narvin

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 01:38:03 pm »
You need help  :)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 01:39:14 pm »
You need help  :)

Indeed...on many levels!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 02:13:56 pm »
enjoyed it very much. Thanks for sharing. I have a confession, I have abused yeast also. I am glad I am not alone any more.  ;)
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 02:31:20 pm »
+1 Nope; you're not alone and my beers do not suffer. 

Denny, I guess I was wrong to assume you would always have a constant supply of fresh yeast since it is named after you...  Don't you have some sort QC thing to do regularly to make sure it's up to snuff?  ;D
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 03:11:01 pm »

Denny, I guess I was wrong to assume you would always have a constant supply of fresh yeast since it is named after you...  Don't you have some sort QC thing to do regularly to make sure it's up to snuff?  ;D

Yeah, I brew beer!  I only get yeast once or twice a year...almost everything I use is out of date.  But since I almost always make a starter, it doesn't matter much.  This was kind of a "how far can I push it?" thing.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 03:35:28 pm »
I abust yeast regularly and love my results. It's the only thing that I pretty much ignore advice on for the types of beers I brew. Very surprised that my lager yeast abuse has created such fine beers IMHO...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 03:38:03 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

RPIScotty

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 04:37:07 pm »

Yeah, I brew beer!  I only get yeast once or twice a year...almost everything I use is out of date.  But since I almost always make a starter, it doesn't matter much.  This was kind of a "how far can I push it?" thing.

Are you buying in bulk or repitching?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 05:29:35 pm »
I abust yeast regularly and love my results. It's the only thing that I pretty much ignore advice on for the types of beers I brew. Very surprised that my lager yeast abuse has created such fine beers IMHO...
I fear I qualify as a yeast abuser do to abandoned stirplates, and pitching entire 1L starters, even to "It" beers.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 08:09:24 pm »
I think dumping a 66F starter into 45F wort is yeast abuse...but like throwing our kids in that cold water...after the shock they will probably thrive anyway...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 10:43:06 pm »

The longest I've gone on old yeast successfully was about 10 months. I recently attempted a 27 month old vial I "found" in my fridge. It was propped up in a small starter @ 1.020 and pitched into a half gallon of cider. The cider had major THP. Definitely got some brett in there.