Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Goose Island five years on  (Read 1339 times)

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
Goose Island five years on
« on: March 29, 2016, 05:52:43 am »
Interesting talk with Brett Porter, GI's brewmaster, on scaling up his recipes.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/drink/ct-food-0324-goose-island-beer-20160328-story.html

I've been sad to see Green Line APA everywhere now. When they launched it, it was draft only and only in Chicago city limits. Green Line pays tribute to the El train line that's closest to their brewery. It was a solid beer.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
Re: Goose Island five years on
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 11:05:19 am »
Interesting talk with Brett Porter, GI's brewmaster, on scaling up his recipes.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/drink/ct-food-0324-goose-island-beer-20160328-story.html

I've been sad to see Green Line APA everywhere now. When they launched it, it was draft only and only in Chicago city limits. Green Line pays tribute to the El train line that's closest to their brewery. It was a solid beer.

Good article. Green Line APA has been on tap at one bar in Champaign ever since it came out. It is a towny bar, and has always been pleasant. I am also weirdly sad to see it widely available. It has been a long time since I've had a 312. I used to love mixing that with a melomel in the summer.
Kyle M.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 01:24:13 pm »
I read this article as well, left me curious to know if the author actually had pre and post buy out bottles to compare or if his evaluations were strictly off memory and thus, suspect at best. Not that I didn't agree with his thoughts but curious nonetheless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 05:37:47 pm »
I read this article as well, left me curious to know if the author actually had pre and post buy out bottles to compare or if his evaluations were strictly off memory and thus, suspect at best. Not that I didn't agree with his thoughts but curious nonetheless.

Didn't sound like they did a side-by-side comparison. Don't think that would help much - these are light or hoppy beers that wouldn't take cellaring very well. The hops would certainly drop out quite a bit. Because of this, a side-by-side might favor the new beers regardless of how 'close' they were or weren't to the originals.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 09:14:57 am »

Didn't sound like they did a side-by-side comparison. Don't think that would help much - these are light or hoppy beers that wouldn't take cellaring very well. The hops would certainly drop out quite a bit. Because of this, a side-by-side might favor the new beers regardless of how 'close' they were or weren't to the originals.
True. It was just a thought i had as I read through the article

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010