Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: getting rid of clorine  (Read 2581 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: getting rid of clorine
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 05:14:07 pm »
I'm so lazy, I find dicking around to get a Campden tablet to dissolve to be a pain.  I add a half a teaspon of hydrogen peroxide per five gallons of city water.  Although fill the pot and let it sit overnight is a good idea as well.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 05:23:11 pm »
I'm so lazy, I find dicking around to get a Campden tablet to dissolve to be a pain.
My approach is to put the tab under a piece of plastic wrap and smack it with something heavy. It turns to an easily dissolvable powder with minimal effort. Plus, taking my aggression out on the tablet helps clear my head from all the other math and measuring that was done during the water treatment.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 05:26:30 pm »
Also if you're making starters don't forget to treat that water as well. As mentioned by others here:

1) Chloramine is stubborn and most municipalities use it now
2) Campden tabs are cheap insurance
3) Chlorophenols are detectable at very low levels

I'm not sure if you decanted all of the starter wort if you could taste residual chlorophenols just from what remains with the yeast. However, if you dump a 1L chlorophenol-filled starter into a 5G batch of lager I don't think you will like what you end up with.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 06:04:46 pm »
I'm so lazy, I find dicking around to get a Campden tablet to dissolve to be a pain.
My approach is to put the tab under a piece of plastic wrap and smack it with something heavy. It turns to an easily dissolvable powder with minimal effort. Plus, taking my aggression out on the tablet helps clear my head from all the other math and measuring that was done during the water treatment.

I crush the tablet in my fingers.  They're soft and it's fun.

Chumley, consider storing your Campden right next to your peroxide.  Then next time you'll enable a lazy choice.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 06:24:32 pm »
I use a 10" carbon block filter that removes all chlorine and organic flavor to run my strike and sparge water thru.