Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Charlie Papazian's "The sun has left us on time Steam Beer"  (Read 3713 times)

Epipen

Charlie Papazian's "The sun has left us on time Steam Beer"
« on: March 14, 2016, 07:27:52 pm »
This was my first brew back in 1992.  I decided to brew it again because of the great success I had with it the first time.  I just started brewing again last year after all that time.
This time I have a chest freezer and a temp controller...
Hopefully it will taste even better!!!
Cheers!!
Checked on it this morning.  I am using a big mouth bubbler ...  the blow off hose doesn't fit as well as it does in my glass carboy.  I put a regular air lock on....  Hopefully no clogs....
24 hours later and my temp is set at 60-62...   bubbling away!!!  Looking good!!
I did ferment at a higher temp last time....   we'll see how this does.....
Like the book says,.."don't worry...  have a home brew!".....
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 02:22:05 am by Epipen »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Charlie Papazian's "The sun has left us on time Steam Beer"
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 07:31:46 am »
I think I brewed that way back when I was starting out.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 07:40:11 am »
Man, I brewed so many of those - Propensity Pils, Amazeing Pale Ale, Toad Spit Stout, etc. Fun times.
Jon H.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 10:34:53 am »
I brewed that a couple of times as well.  That is a great beer.

I had to google it, and was pleasantly surprised to see that Alexander's Sun Country malt extract is still available.  Dang.  I might have to order some and brew it, just for old time's sake as well.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 10:37:44 am »
 ;D    I used that stuff when I started. Blast from the past. Along with packets of Whitbread dry yeast.
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 08:55:13 am »
I brewed that a couple of times as well.  That is a great beer.

I had to google it, and was pleasantly surprised to see that Alexander's Sun Country malt extract is still available.  Dang.  I might have to order some and brew it, just for old time's sake as well.

One of my local shops still carries this and a number of older extract brands. They might still have Alexander's Sun Country cans that date back to the last time you used it.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline crakers540

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 06:56:13 pm »
I have used Alexander's for a PME for years.  It has a wonderful, distinct flavor, one of my favorites.  I just purchased 2 cans, which will make 2 batches of a California Steam IPA partial mash recipe that is a staple of mine.

Good stuff.

Epipen

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 07:11:20 pm »
Coool.......     I just picked up some White Labs Cry Havoc.  I've always wanted to try Charlie Papazian's  signature yeast for one of his brews..... .  I am going to give it a try with, "Elbro Nerkte Brown Ale".....

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 04:18:39 pm »
One of my favorites from the book was "Rocky Racoon's Crystal Honey Lager."   That recipe turns out surprisingly well for being extract.  Alexander's was the only domestic malt extract that was available when I started to brew.  It was either Alexander's or old Munton & Fison.  If I recall correctly, Briess did not enter the extract market until the second half of the nineties.  I had been all-grain brewer for several years at the point in time.

Epipen

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 04:07:21 am »
I tried the Steam Beer this weekend and it turned out great.  I'll have to brew it again.  I didn't have any luck with the White Labs Cry Havoc yeast.  Both packets turned out bad....  I had to run out and pick up a pack of dry yeast for my Elbro Nerkte Brown Ale.  Just bottled that one last night. So far so good....

Offline crakers540

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 06:15:44 pm »
Do you mine posting your Steam Beer recipe?  I would like to compare it to mine. 

Epipen

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 07:12:59 pm »
8 lbs. Alexander's light malt extract
1/2 lb. crystal malt
1 1/2 oz. northern Brewers hops (boiling): 14 HBU
1/2 oz. Cascade hops (finishing)
1-2 pkgs lager yeast

Combine the cracked crystal malt with 1 1/2 gallons of cold water and bring to a boil.  remove the crystal malt with a strainer...  then add alt extract and northern Brewers hops and boil for 45 minutes.  during the final 2 minutes of boiling add the Cascade hops.  Immediately transfer to the fermenter and cold water.  Add yeast when cool.  If two-stage fermentation is used then the beer will be improved if matured for 2-3 weeks at temperatures about 50 degrees F before bottling.  Bottle when fermentation stops or after 2-3 weeks of secondary maturation.