Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Red X  (Read 2454 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Belgian Red X
« on: April 08, 2016, 10:12:48 am »
The all Red X lager I brewed last year turned out pretty nicely, and I was thinking maybe it would pair well with a Belgian yeast.

Something like:

100% Red X to 1.050
Bitter with EGK
Finish with Saaz and/or Styrian Goldings
Wyeast 3522 or maybe 3739 (which I haven't used before but sounds like it might work well)

The choice of yeast is the most difficult for me.  My experience with Red X is that it has a light tartness to it, which I perceived almost as a cherry flavor.  I want a yeast that will complement that with mild/moderate fruit and phenols but without adding additional tartness.

Thoughts?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Belgian Red X
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 10:19:05 am »
I like it. I was drinking my 100% red x lager last night and noticed a cherry like flavor for the first time. I don't get any tartness but I get an interesting mix of flavors including light toffee and caramel.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 10:46:52 am »
Yeah, that could be great with 3522 (one of my favorite Belgian yeasts). I may try that out sometime. I say go for it.
Jon H.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 12:46:38 pm »
I recently brewed an IIPA, which had 50% Red X, 45% Pilsner and 5% sugar.  It was a beautiful color though not red.  Do you find the 100% Red X a little cloying?  I found the flavor to be a bit like a crystal malt which makes me wonder.

The bottom line is that I want a RED beer, but one that tastes good and which showcases the hops.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 01:13:43 pm »
I recently brewed an IIPA, which had 50% Red X, 45% Pilsner and 5% sugar.  It was a beautiful color though not red.  Do you find the 100% Red X a little cloying?  I found the flavor to be a bit like a crystal malt which makes me wonder.

The bottom line is that I want a RED beer, but one that tastes good and which showcases the hops.
That's interesting, because I've never picked up on a crystal malt sweetness in my Red X beers. To me, the flavor is really close to light Munich malt, and I'm a big fan of it.

To the OP, I'd be tempted to use WY3864 since it's available right now, I think the plum esters would be a nice compliment to the Red X character. WY1762 would be another nice one in a similar ballpark.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 01:37:13 pm »

My experience is somewhat similar to yours however I have found the sweetness to decrease considerably after a few weeks. My friend did a red IPA with it and had the same experience.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 02:12:24 pm »
I think its more like a 12ºL Vienna

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 02:21:37 pm »

My experience is somewhat similar to yours however I have found the sweetness to decrease considerably after a few weeks. My friend did a red IPA with it and had the same experience.

Very interesting!  I may go 100% next time.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 02:34:08 pm »

Very interesting!  I may go 100% next time.

I think next time I use it I am going to go pretty much the same route you did. 50/50 pils/red x with a bit of roasted grain to make up color. Sorry to go off topic...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 02:36:49 pm by goschman »

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 11:05:46 am »
I decided on the 3522 and will be brewing Saturday night.

I picked up 10 lbs. of Red X which would get me 6 gallons at 1.051, but I might use a little less and make up the gravity with some cane sugar.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 11:08:19 am »
Sounds really good. I like the idea of the sugar, too.
Jon H.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 10:39:54 am »
Well, I got it done.

From my previous experience with Red X, I knew it was more acidic than Bru'n Water would project so I targeted a mash pH in Bru'n Water of 5.54.  Actual mash pH was measured at 5.34.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 05:56:01 pm by narcout »