Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When cooling boiling wort, at what temp is it safe to begin agitating?  (Read 4267 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
How low do you have to get the temp, before you can safely start agitating it to help speed cooling and promote aeration?
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Not sure what your concerns are about safety: personal safety regarding hot liquids, or avoiding hot side aeration?
I start agitating as soon as I can after flame out and starting my IC. I dont know what HSA tastes like, so my beers may have it, either way though, I have enjoyed them
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Avoiding hot side aeration.  Also by stirring while the immersion chiller is in the pot I can cool the wort more quickly.  The water that goes through my immersion chiller comes from a city water tower and is up to 76 F in the summer.  Not ideal.

Thanks
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
As soon as you reach a temperature that is safe for your agitating equipment.  I use a plastic impeller.  I'm not sure which plastic it is made from, so I let the temperature drop before putting it in the wort.

Offline 69franx

Yes, I use a 16" high heat kitchen spatula to get the wort moving around and through the coils of my IC. It's the same type of spatula we always used in restaurants for cooking: boiling soups, etc so I have never feared putting it into my wort. I have had it for over ten years of cooking and almost 3 years of brewing and it looks like new except it is a little discolored from all those soups and now brews
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Back when there was a lot of talk on boards about hot side aeration I think the general rule was <100F. 

Now days I start swirling the IC as soon as I can touch the output line without burning myself.  It's probably around 120 to 130F.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Avoiding hot side aeration.  Also by stirring while the immersion chiller is in the pot I can cool the wort more quickly.  The water that goes through my immersion chiller comes from a city water tower and is up to 76 F in the summer.  Not ideal.

Thanks

While there is much debate about HSA and its effects, I've always felt that it was easy enough to avoid that I try be safe.  The commonly quoted "safe" temp for HSA is below the mid 80s  But you can certainly whirlpool your wort at higher temps as long as you're careful not to do it too strongly and introduce O2.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 69franx

Thanks

While there is much debate about HSA and its effects, I've always felt that it was easy enough to avoid that I try be safe.  The commonly quoted "safe" temp for HSA is below the mid 80s  But you can certainly whirlpool your wort at higher temps as long as you're careful not to do it too strongly and introduce O2.

i guess I had not thought of that Denny, I definitely get some O2 in there while stirring (a little foam visible) will have to address that on my next batch
Frank L.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
I stir my hop stands pretty vigorously and have never noticed any of the flavors that get attributed to HSA. I've done this at temps anywhere between 120F and ~200F.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster

Thanks

I thought HSA was an over rated concern, but guys like John Palmer, Randy Mosher, and John Kimmich having differences of opinion on the matter.  Hence the debate.  John Kimmich (Heady Topper) doesn't do it, I want to keep it to a minimum.  I wonder what could be affected in flavor between a hop stand/whirlpool after FO that wouldn't be introducing O2 in HSA?  I had started out with a cooling process using a balloon whisk, a chiller and an ice bath, because it is the most dangerous time to for the wort to introduce bacteria.  Although the best time to introduce O2 is at pitching temps, or at least under 100F.  I have moved the whisk to those temperature ranges.  Although I have never experienced oxidization in my beers, wet cardboard or sherry flavors.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
Re: When cooling boiling wort, at what temp is it safe to begin agitating?
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 03:08:26 pm »
I start stirring with my immersion cooler immediately with holding on to the inlet side to stir. I like Frank's way of using a spoon/spatula on the inside of the IC.  Might try that way on my next batch.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 03:46:39 pm »
never had an issue with HSA. i pour sparge water from kettle into my cooler with no attempt to minimize splash. after boil, i begin swirling and bouncing my copper immersion chiller. my temps drop so quickly from boil to <100F i've never even thought about it. 

always done it it this way since started brewing.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 04:29:34 pm »
As soon as my boil is done I turn on my whirlpool pump and it runs non stop until I hit pitching temp. Never a problem

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 04:34:13 pm »
never had an issue with HSA. i pour sparge water from kettle into my cooler with no attempt to minimize splash. after boil, i begin swirling and bouncing my copper immersion chiller. my temps drop so quickly from boil to <100F i've never even thought about it. 

always done it it this way since started brewing.

Same here. I really don't like oxidized beer ( except for a slight amount in some big OG beers) and I don't get that from doing this. Bamforth may be right as it applies to big breweries, but I'm not seeing it here. Ever.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 05:20:58 pm »
I am an anal SOB.  I detest oxidation. I have always followed the rule of thumb (as Denny stated) as 80F or below before I start moving the wort rapidly to chill it faster with my crappy IC.

For those of you not worrying about this, have you observed any ill effects (HSA potential) from long term aging of beers?  For example, if one is rapidly stirring wort at 185F for a hop stand, I am assuming that the massive hop flavors/aromas combined with consuming the beer rather quickly (as IPA's usually are) would help to mask any initial oxidation potentially contributed from HSA (if any at all occur).  Just curious about aging beer with regards to this, as I (and many others) were curious with Brulosophers Exbeeriment on this topic as well.