Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aeration Question  (Read 1679 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Aeration Question
« on: April 09, 2016, 08:07:42 am »
We sometimes make big batches of mead, 25-30 gallons, that take a long time to rack into several carboys. A couple years ago I tried using my pump to transfer. It worked great but there was way too much   splashing in the carboy for my comfort so I scrapped that idea.
Now that I keg I can purge the carboys. Do you all think if I go ahead and purge that I can proceed again at this method. How many seconds at what pressure to be sure a carboy is purged?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
Re: Aeration Question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 03:04:40 pm »
You need to use a pretty low pressure. Those aren't rated. I have been known to drop the open flare end of my CO2 bottle to the bottom of the carboy and let it blow for 15-20 seconds, looking for a whiff of "smoke" to come out of the carboy mouth. You could also use CO2 to push through a sterile siphon starter - https://www.morebeer.com/products/sterile-siphon-starter-65-gallon-carboy-threaded-neck.html?site_id=9 - to rack.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 06:34:45 am »
You need to use a pretty low pressure. Those aren't rated. I have been known to drop the open flare end of my CO2 bottle to the bottom of the carboy and let it blow for 15-20 seconds, looking for a whiff of "smoke" to come out of the carboy mouth. You could also use CO2 to push through a sterile siphon starter - https://www.morebeer.com/products/sterile-siphon-starter-65-gallon-carboy-threaded-neck.html?site_id=9 - to rack.
That's a pretty interesting contraption Matt. I'm interested in that for secondary carboy to tertiary but it won't work for my bucket to carboy transfer.
I was thinking if I purged the carboys then it wouldn't matter that the mead was getting splashed around but I'm concerned about the Bernouli Effect: the rapid movement of the liquid will cause air movement which will cause low pressure which could suck air into the carboy. I just don't know if the CO2 in the carboy will counteract this or not.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
Aeration Question
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 07:29:01 am »
What if you reversed it? Add another dip tube to the other end, then rack with a gentle siphon through the car boy cap? Maybe purge the car boy first, but when racking this way, the lower pressure inside the car boy may minimize o2 uptake. It's a theory anyway.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 07:48:36 pm »
What if you reversed it? Add another dip tube to the other end, then rack with a gentle siphon through the car boy cap? Maybe purge the car boy first, but when racking this way, the lower pressure inside the car boy may minimize o2 uptake. It's a theory anyway.
That's a good idea. I think I could put that togther with what's on hand. I'll see how brave I get.