Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Methyl anthranilate (Grape Ester)  (Read 8435 times)

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Methyl anthranilate (Grape Ester)
« on: April 10, 2016, 10:59:55 am »
Is anyone on the forum familiar with this ester and its formation in beer?

I recently brewed a Helles that had a significant corny DMS aroma and flavor when it was young. Through lagering, that corn has been replaced with a light concord grape flavor and aroma. I'm curious if that genesis was via the DMS?

I've noted that this grape ester shows up more often in German lager styles, but I'm not sure why. Maybe because they tend to be malt focused and not hop focused?
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Methyl anthranilate (Grape Ester)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 11:13:23 am »
I wonder if it's more a pilsner malt thing than strictly a lager thing, Martin. I've noticed it occasionally even in beers like cream ale that get some pils malt. I only notice it now and then and it's subtle, but I've only noticed it when using pils malt in lager or ale.
Jon H.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 03:32:16 pm »
Well, its interesting that Pils may be the cause of this. Maybe it has something to do with the SMM or the subsequent DMS. I had not made the correlation with lightly kilned malt previously.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 03:37:35 pm »
I don't have any experiments or specific data to back it up, Martin. But I've never encountered it when not using Pils. Don't notice it often even then.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 03:50:15 pm »
Isnt this the grape-lollipop ester that S Cerv. talks about in some British strains?

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 04:01:41 pm »
This might be what I am getting in my Maibock. I described it on another thread as the flavor I used to get as a kid with those paper straw sugar candies. I thought I got it from the S-189 yeast, but it certainly could have come from the pilsner malt. The recipe had 67% pilsner malt.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 04:05:43 pm »
I don't know if this is the same one. Methyl anthranilate is the flavoring in grape Koolaid. There's not a lot of info about this ester's presence in beer, at least within the limits of my Google-fu. Anthranilic acid is a precursor of amino acids, so I'd guess that this is coming from the malt. There's no sulfur in it, so it's hard to picture the chemistry of how DMS could form it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 04:18:24 pm »
I couldn't begin to guess at the mechanism forming it, it just seems that sometimes I get a touch when I use pils. Not even maltster specific that I've seen. I've used all the major maltsters' pils (including Belgian) and no one brand seems to produce this consistently. And I could be wrong, though it does seem to correlate with pils. Maybe (like with hops) it's a perception thing - what I perceive as a light grape note someone else might get as just light malty sweetness.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 06:47:54 am »
So, do you suppose this is a mash, boil, or fermentation thing causing this flaw? I've gotten what someone in my brew club described as sweet kettle corn in some lighter lagers before with mostly pils malt. They said it wasn't DMS though. I attributed most of this to fermentation and underpitching/fermenting too warm. But perhaps it was really the same thing as being described here. It's a sweetness that I can't quite put my finger on what it tastes like. It crops up once in a while. I think since I started acidifying my boil it has gone away though. Knock on wood...
Jesse

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 06:55:20 am »
I associate grape with Munich I malt heavy beers. Traditional Bocks for example. If it from the malt or a compound that the yeast produce from malt is something I can't answer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 07:23:41 am »
I associate grape with Munich I malt heavy beers. Traditional Bocks for example. If it from the malt or a compound that the yeast produce from malt is something I can't answer.
And I've especially noticed it when using Munich in my helles beers. So there could be something to that as well.
Jesse

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 07:38:09 am »

I've noted that this grape ester shows up more often in German lager styles, but I'm not sure why. Maybe because they tend to be malt focused and not hop focused?
Martin by chance did the recipe include any CaraPils?

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 07:39:02 am »

I recently brewed a Helles that had a significant corny DMS aroma and flavor when it was young.

have one on tap right now that has some of that.   never had the corny DMS aroma or flavor though.  just a light hint on concord grape.  that same yeast (830) was used on a marzen before it and a Vienna after the helles, and neither of those have the grape ester at a detectable level.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 07:48:55 am »

This is exactly what I was thinking. In fact I cut the Munich malt with pilsner malt to avoid that grape character.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 07:49:26 am »

I recently brewed a Helles that had a significant corny DMS aroma and flavor when it was young.

have one on tap right now that has some of that.   never had the corny DMS aroma or flavor though.  just a light hint on concord grape.  that same yeast (830) was used on a marzen before it and a Vienna after the helles, and neither of those have the grape ester at a detectable level.
Paul, Munich light will give you hints of grape flavor.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com